Car Won't Start....HELP! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Car Won't Start....HELP!

lildevil01GT
01-26-2005, 07:21 AM
I haven’t had any problems with my car not starting before (except for the time I left my lights on :doh: ).

My car started just fine after work. I drove home, shut the car off. Ran inside for a few minutes and went back out to leave. And the car wouldn’t start. The car tries to start but then goes back to just cranking. We checked the battery, the alternator, all the fuses and the spark plugs. Nothing out of the ordinary. No lights were on on the way home, no lights were dimming like what you’d see with a bad alternator. You can hear the fuel pump humming when you turn the key. I’m totally stumped. Anybody have an idea??

I tried seaching, and couldn't find anything close to what was happening to me.

Thanks in advance :boogie:

Kdawg207
01-26-2005, 07:41 AM
i know you checked fuses...but check the large ignition fuse in the panel under the hood...i popped that once before and acted the same way

lildevil01GT
01-26-2005, 08:05 AM
The fuses under the hood are what we checked. They were all fine...but maybe I'll try again tonight before it gets dark.

Kdawg207
01-26-2005, 10:17 AM
its the big fuker...30 i believe

mchristy
01-26-2005, 11:30 AM
longshot but.... could be the fuel pump, mine just went at 58000 miles, money i didnt need to spend...

lildevil01GT
01-26-2005, 11:33 AM
Yeah...that's what the dealership said it sounded like. They quoted me a cost of $343 for just the part...Yeah right...Autozone $228.88!

mchristy-how much did you spend for your fuel pump?

pontga00
01-26-2005, 11:49 AM
Probably a long shot, but was it cold out?

Saturday morning, I moved my car so my sister could get out, then later that afternoon when I needed to leave, the car wouldn't start. It cranked, but no start.

I just hooked up the jumper cables from my battery to my mom's Explorer, and let it crank til it started. No problems since. I figure the gas lines were just a lil frozen.

lildevil01GT
01-26-2005, 12:00 PM
No...it was like 60 here yesterday. And I had just gotten home, ran inside for like 5 minutes and came back out...wouldn't start!

Mike Jung
01-26-2005, 06:15 PM
Probably a long shot, but was it cold out?

Saturday morning, I moved my car so my sister could get out, then later that afternoon when I needed to leave, the car wouldn't start. It cranked, but no start.

I just hooked up the jumper cables from my battery to my mom's Explorer, and let it crank til it started. No problems since. I figure the gas lines were just a lil frozen.

Ethanol (up to 10%) blended gasoline is your friend in the cold winter time.
(Ethanol will take out any moisture/water in your gas tank/lines.)

If your gasoline does not use Ethanol as a blend; you should use some Gasoline Anti-freeze/Water Remover that contains Isopropyl Alcohol.
Like in the beginning of winter when you get the first real cold snap.
Or during a real cold snap, if you haven't used it in awhile.

DO NOT USE ANY METHANOL versions of gasoline anti-freeze !

& keep the gas tank at least 1/2 full to keep out condensation/water out of the gas tank.

I had a co-worker have her gas lines freeze-up last year with 3/4 tank of gas, when it was like -28°C/-18°F outside air temperature.

I told her to use:

http://www.goldeagle.com/heet/images/HA55360.jpg
ISO Heet Gas-Line Anti-Freeze & Water Remover (http://www.goldeagle.com/heet/products.htm)

& get a car to boost her battery in the car to start it (as the car battery would be weak from all the attemps to try to start the car before)
& Becareful NOT to over-heat the starter !

Apollyon9515
01-26-2005, 10:50 PM
My car has a similar problem. when it gets cold it wont start. It was bad cold for a while it wouldnt start for 2 weeks until it warmed up.
It just keeps cranking and crankin and i use the heet stuff no luck. if you get urs fixed please tell me it good luck.

ruckus63
01-26-2005, 11:52 PM
mine did this back in Sept, turned out to be the ignition module.....or so the dealer said.....then a week later it did it again, so this time they disconnected the battery for about a half hour and then it started fine, said it was security, it had to reset itself......yea right.
Either case it didn't cost me anything...warrenty.

Hot_Stud18
01-29-2005, 09:58 PM
It's probably something with the security system, mine did the same thing when the car had 27k on it, the car seemed like it wanted to start for a split second then would die out, everything was done under warranty.

Ok and a quick look over my invoice of the problem shows "28449 Ignition lock cylinder will not hold security code Code B2960 stored in BCM. Security system is in lock out timer rotated key and voltage varies on tech 2 found lock cylinder losing resistence. Replaced and recoded lock cylinder and key."

methos
01-31-2005, 12:58 PM
did u check the ignition wires. not the spark plugs, but the wires going into the ignition box behind the engine. mine did this month when i was driving, a wire poped out of the socket and the engine just died

lildevil01GT
02-03-2005, 02:07 PM
Well, I got the car back from the mechanic today. Apparently 2 of the 4 hot wires in the MAF were dirty (at least that's what he said). He cleaned them off and it started right up.

Doctor Ouchie
02-16-2005, 09:47 AM
My car won't even crank over. It's not a battery issue, even tried jump starting a handful of times, but no luck. I've had the problem before, but after about 30 mins of sitting around the car started up just like new.

Think this is a starter problem, or something electric?

melisa
02-16-2005, 10:22 AM
Mine has a problem with the security system, I guess it shuts off the fuel pump when it gets screwy... I had the fuel pump replaced once and paid $600 then it wouldn't start again the next day and I was told that all you have to do is put it in the "on" position for 10 minutes and don't touch a thing.... then turn it off and start it right up.... I was ****ed!