New engine [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : New engine

nonchron
01-26-2005, 02:16 PM
Hey guys, a couple questions.

Okay, so I got my 2000gagt from a nissan dealership that had it taking up space as a trade in. I really enjoyed the car, but recently had some cyls misfiring. In the process of diagnosis, things started piling up, like stripped bolts and other random poor-maintenance damage (including a defunked piston and cylinder casing, as well as majorly f-ckedstuck spark plug) and I'm basically just getting a new factory engine for $3700.

Mucho oucho for my bank accounto. But seeing as the thing has 83k on it, I guess it's not a total waste?

General comments of encouragement are appreciated, but I did have two queries on the subject..

A) Any recommendations on break in procedure? Are factory engines pre-broken like on most new cars, or should I take it easy/try to heat cycle it like a bike?

B) So, uh.. I got this car a year ago from a nissan dealership. Should I seek legal council about having to get a brand new engine as the cheapest alternative to getting the thing running right?

Thanks,
--Non

AaronGAGT
01-26-2005, 03:06 PM
$3700? That seems kinda high.

95-GT
01-26-2005, 03:23 PM
There is no need for a "break in", today's motors are ready to roll the moment you drive off the lot. The only suggestion is to vary speeds on the highway, not to sit at a constant RPM. Also, $3700 is VERY HIGH for a motor. Buy a used one with low miles for $600-$800.

intence
01-26-2005, 04:00 PM
I second that. You're not going to keep the car forever, you can get a used one with very low miles for under $1000 pretty easily.

I'm assuming the $3700 price includes installation, but that's still pretty high.

95-GT
01-26-2005, 04:04 PM
Yes sir, 8 hours TOP to install, @ $80/hr is only $640. Fluids another $50. Install should cost no more then $800, with a motor being $800 used with under 1000 miles on it.

nonchron
01-27-2005, 05:55 AM
Well, the full story goes like this...

After the car got some additional damage - bent fuel rods, from when I had the intake manifold repaired at some now name shop - I took it to a dealership to 'propperly repair the problem' for there to be more credibility during litigation. Because everybody loves dealerships.

After I started getting this odd misfire in the engine, I figured - what the hey, I'll take it there to get it checked out as kind of a thanks for the written statement they provided me and whatever.

They replaced some 'corroded inginition coils' and did some other small crap to the tune of 500 and the problem was not fixed. Unfortunately all through the month I was flying to Florida and California, so my folks ended up authorizing additional repairs without my consent - this time they wanted to replace the headers because of a single stuck spark plug - $2200 - on top of the $500.

Low and behold, it did not fix the problem! They ****ed around some more, ended up with a final figure of $2700 and finally said for another $1k they'd stick in a new engine, and warranty it for a while. Basically, after all this ****, I'm very tired of it all, so I guess I'm just gonna take the huge hit and be done with it.

action
01-27-2005, 10:13 AM
Tell 'em to stick the $2700, they never solved the problem and all the parts they did work on would be nulled by replacing the engine anyway!!! Take the car to a good small garage and purchase a good used low mileage engine from a scrap yard.