Nocking Noise!? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Nocking Noise!?

Bonzo'97GaGt
01-26-2005, 01:48 PM
I own a 97 Grand Am GT and every morning when i start the car there is 3 terrible nocks comming from the front passengerside of the car!!! This only seems to happen the first time the car is driven that day (usually in the morning). It only happens if the car is in drive, and i cannot figure out what it is. Does anyone know what this is? Or if it will have long term damage, should i get it fixed right away,etc...

xdiego16x
01-26-2005, 02:26 PM
Sounds to me like noisy lifters...My '97 GAGT does the exact same thing. Just takes a while for the oil to lubricate the lifers. As far as I know, it's not a damaging thing, but one of the more knowledgeable members is better off answering that question.
(I'm no expert, so someone please correct me if i'm wrong)

Bonzo'97GaGt
01-28-2005, 05:44 PM
Thats what ive been hearing, but i also heard that is is some type of ABS checking system? Know anything about that?

xdiego16x
01-31-2005, 09:48 AM
Does the knocking noise only happen when the car is at idle? If so, it's probably not the ABS, if you're not sure, take the ABS fuse out and see if the noise still occurs

Bonzo'97GaGt
01-31-2005, 01:37 PM
where can i find this fuse?

getTwisted
01-31-2005, 03:47 PM
if its comin from the engine..........then it is your hyperutechtic pistons (not sure if i spelled it right) but hyper. pistons are smaller than the bore and then swell as they get hot! so it knocks a little, or as some call it piston slap!

hyper pistons are just cheap junck!

Bonzo'97GaGt
01-31-2005, 05:06 PM
Is this a problem that i need to get fixed right away? Is there any long term damage from it?

getTwisted
01-31-2005, 07:11 PM
just don't run the car hard while the engine is cold, I let mine warm up completly before I even start to go anywhere. high rpms are not good when its cold, cause the pistons don't match the bore of the cylinder and they will move around a lot(knock/slap) until they are hot,

I've seen cases where the top of the piston actually broke off in the head. but that car was put under a lot of pressure and high rpms while it was still cold, but it was under warrenty and the dealership put a new engine in it.

You don't have to get it fixed just be vary careful how you drive it when it is making that noise! don't rev, or drive it hard.

only way to really fix it is new pistons(custom fit)!!

if you have any questions let me know!

intence
01-31-2005, 09:35 PM
I had noisy lifters too (thats what I thought it was anyway). I switched to 5W30 oil for the winter, and it minimized the noise quite a bit.