horn goes off while turning the steering wheel [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : horn goes off while turning the steering wheel

dennistowell
01-26-2005, 07:43 PM
well i had that turn signal problem where my car would have the clicking noise for the signals when they wernt even on. so i read up o n that here and saw the tread about taking the multifunction switch out and cleaning it to solve the problem. so i did that and now the turn signals work great and are back to normal but now when i turn the wheel to the right to make a turn, there is a spot where my horn goes off. it doesnt stay on but just turns on for like one second and then goes off.

i am just wondering if cleaning that switch has anything to do with the horn problem or if i messed something else up while i was in the streeting colum getting the switch out? so i guess basicly i am asking how the horn works and how it is triggered?

i need to know how to fix this cause right now i am driving around with the fuse to the horn pulled so it wont go off anymore. thanks guys!!

Passn'U
01-26-2005, 08:16 PM
that has got to be one of the top 3 strangest things i've heard of going on with a car

AleroME
01-26-2005, 09:49 PM
when ya cleaned off the multifunction switch.. its when you put it back.. the horn contact is actually a spring loaded tab. When ya put it back.. you prolly forced it on cuz ya didn't know bout it. and the spring loaded metal contact tab is grounding out when ya making turns.

I know cuz I have the same thing when i pulled out my dash and i needed to remove the multifunction switch in order for the dash to come out when i was fiberglassing mine. But I have an aftermarket air horn now on the car.. so I don't use my horn button no more.. its wired on a separate switch. So no biggie.

You need to buy a new multifunction switch if u wanna fix your problem. and bend back the round metal plate that the metal spring loaded tab sits on.

dennistowell
03-01-2005, 04:15 PM
Took me a while to post the final solution to all of this mess but here we go.
To sum everything up, I had the multifunction switch problem when the turn signal clicking sound was going without the turn signals going. So I took it off and cleaned it fixing the problem but as soon as I put it back in I found two more problems. My horn would go off when I went to make a turn and the horn buttons on the steering wheel didnít work anymore.

For those of you who donít know this is a little about how the horn system works. If any of you are familiar with the headlight system it works the same way. It is what is called a negative ground system meaning that the horn itself always has power so the button on our steering wheel controls the ground. When we push the button it completes the circuit by connecting the ground, backwards of what most switches do by providing the positive power to the devise. So on that note here is all that was wrong with my horn:

First problem was the horn going off while turning the steering wheel.
After about a 2 hour wait at the dealer they told me that the horn going off while turning the wheel was caused by the metal ring the horn button rides on (the button coming off the multifunction switch) was bent and grounding out completing the circuit on a piece of metal in the steering column. The tech said I problem bent it when I was either taking out or putting in the multi function switch. So they replaced that part and sure enough it fixed that problem.

Second off my horn buttons on the steering wheel didnít work at all.
The dealer tech thought that replacing the disk for the horn button as stated above would fix this problem too. Sure enough it was not that easy. Horn still didnít work with the steering wheel buttons but would work with the keyless entry lock and the panic button. So then they tested the multifunction switch and found out if was perfectly fine as well. As after about 2 more hours of trying to figure out what was wrong I just happened to mention, what if the buttons on the steering wheel need replacing. So the tech took off the airbag and tested the buttons them selves and sure enough they were not working. I was like ok cool so how much to replace those thinking that a couple of switches canít be but like 20-30 bucks. It turns out that or horn buttons are an integrated part of the airbag module and I would have to replace the whole airbag itself. 600 bucks for parts alone and then throw labor on top of that it was going to be around 700 buck just to fix a horn. What wonderful engineering by GM, lets make the horn and airbag the same thing, makes no sense to me what so ever. Well I ended up talking to the tech and figuring out something to do besides spending 700 bucks to replace my horn. The tech thinks I burnt out the buttons when I was turning the wheel and that disk was ground out uncontrolled.

How I fixed the problem myself for 20 bucks!!
After talking to the tech about how the horn system works he said there is a black wire coming into the multifunction switch that is the horn ground wire. I found it by using a test light, attached the alligator clip to a bolt to ground it, and probed all the black wires until you find the one when probed the horn sounds. Take that wire and put an in-line splitter in and run a wire to a pushbutton switch (bought at Radio Shack for 10 bucks, make sure it is rated for 15A). Then from the switch run the wire to any ground in the car. No I have a new button that anytime it is pushed the horn goes off. As of right now it is on my center console because I could not think of any good place to mount it. I would like to mount it on to my steering wheel but I donít know how to get the wire to the switch and still be able to turn the wheel all the way. Any help with that would be great!!!

So just a word off advice to those of you that would like to try to fix the multifunction switch problem on your own, be very cautious about the metal disk that the horn pin runs along it could end up costing you more than 5 times as much as what you would pay for a new multifunction switch!!

brsexton
03-01-2005, 06:28 PM
Sometimes you can find the airbags on ebay pretty cheap. But yeah, i hear you about GM and the horn buttons being made into the airbag. My alero had a problem where the horn would blow when my car would sit in the hot sun. The airbag was expanding causing the horn to make contact. So GM replaced the entire airbag under warranty.....

AaronGAGT
03-02-2005, 12:55 PM
hmmm... my horn also stopped working recently. I hope its not that complicated.

White99GAGT
05-11-2005, 08:38 AM
I know this is a old thread but I too forgot to depress the horn spring and my horn would also go off for like a second while turning the steering wheel. I noticed with the cover off that my spring would not depress, to fix this I opened the multifunction switch once again and took out the spring and the little metal contact and noticed it was bent so I simply straighten it with some pliers and put everything back together and now the horn works and no longer goes off while turning the wheel. I also notice that there is a gold ring which that makes contact with the metal tab, well in not depressing the spring the first time I bent this ring a little bit, so make sure this is also not bent out of shape when you put everything back together.

gaby04
06-22-2010, 01:05 PM
After talking to the tech about how the horn system works he said there is a black wire coming into the multifunction switch that is the horn ground wire. I found it by using a test light, attached the alligator clip to a bolt to ground it, and probed all the black wires until you find the one when probed the horn sounds. Take that wire and put an in-line splitter in and run a wire to a pushbutton switch (bought at Radio Shack for 10 bucks, make sure it is rated for 15A). Then from the switch run the wire to any ground in the car. No I have a new button that anytime it is pushed the horn goes off. As of right now it is on my center console because I could not think of any good place to mount it. I would like to mount it on to my steering wheel but I donít know how to get the wire to the switch and still be able to turn the wheel all the way. Any help with that would be great!!!

So just a word off advice to those of you that would like to try to fix the multifunction switch problem on your own, be very cautious about the metal disk that the horn pin runs along it could end up costing you more than 5 times as much as what you would pay for a new multifunction switch!!

I know this post is a little old, but would someone know which black wire is the horn wire ? There are 2 black wires going to the multifunction switch and i dont know which one. I dont mind probing the wires but just afraid it will damage something.

dstrong
08-27-2012, 07:29 PM
Took me a while to post the final solution to all of this mess but here we go.
To sum everything up, I had the multifunction switch problem when the turn signal clicking sound was going without the turn signals going. So I took it off and cleaned it fixing the problem but as soon as I put it back in I found two more problems. My horn would go off when I went to make a turn and the horn buttons on the steering wheel didnít work anymore.

For those of you who donít know this is a little about how the horn system works. If any of you are familiar with the headlight system it works the same way. It is what is called a negative ground system meaning that the horn itself always has power so the button on our steering wheel controls the ground. When we push the button it completes the circuit by connecting the ground, backwards of what most switches do by providing the positive power to the devise. So on that note here is all that was wrong with my horn:

First problem was the horn going off while turning the steering wheel.
After about a 2 hour wait at the dealer they told me that the horn going off while turning the wheel was caused by the metal ring the horn button rides on (the button coming off the multifunction switch) was bent and grounding out completing the circuit on a piece of metal in the steering column. The tech said I problem bent it when I was either taking out or putting in the multi function switch. So they replaced that part and sure enough it fixed that problem.

Second off my horn buttons on the steering wheel didnít work at all.
The dealer tech thought that replacing the disk for the horn button as stated above would fix this problem too. Sure enough it was not that easy. Horn still didnít work with the steering wheel buttons but would work with the keyless entry lock and the panic button. So then they tested the multifunction switch and found out if was perfectly fine as well. As after about 2 more hours of trying to figure out what was wrong I just happened to mention, what if the buttons on the steering wheel need replacing. So the tech took off the airbag and tested the buttons them selves and sure enough they were not working. I was like ok cool so how much to replace those thinking that a couple of switches canít be but like 20-30 bucks. It turns out that or horn buttons are an integrated part of the airbag module and I would have to replace the whole airbag itself. 600 bucks for parts alone and then throw labor on top of that it was going to be around 700 buck just to fix a horn. What wonderful engineering by GM, lets make the horn and airbag the same thing, makes no sense to me what so ever. Well I ended up talking to the tech and figuring out something to do besides spending 700 bucks to replace my horn. The tech thinks I burnt out the buttons when I was turning the wheel and that disk was ground out uncontrolled.

Know this is an old thread, but this was a lifesaver for me, so I just thought I'd add a little. When you remove the cover from the steering wheel column, there are three plugs going into the multifunction switch. The wire you want for the horn is in the middle plug. Each of the wires is labeled with letters, and you want the black wire labeled "A." If you push this wire out of the plug and connect it to ground, the horn will go off. Then you can attach a 15A button and install it wherever you want. I put mine on the driver's side door, next to the lock button and side view mirror adjustor. Hope this helps anyone out there who's like me and turned a simple repair into a bigger problem!