LIM Repair followed by immediate failure! Why? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : LIM Repair followed by immediate failure! Why?

Draug
01-27-2005, 02:36 PM
Greetings,

A few weeks ago, my LIM gasket ruptured at the corner below the alternator. It was seeping previously, the car had 180,000 Kms on it without a LIM failure, so I didnt think too much of it. I assumed it was just the same problem that everyone has with the LIM gasket.

Under that line of thinking, I replaced it using the new style of gasket from GM. I was very maticulous in the repair; all surfaces were very clean and smooth. Exact torque specs were used, and every detail was attended to as far as I know.

The car worked fine for about 2500 Kms. Then, the gasket ruptured again at the same spot. I havent taken it apart yet to actually look at the gasket. Prior to the rupture, there were no signs of seaping at any point of the LIM.

Any ideas as to why this could have happened? If I dont determine the cause, I'm convinced it will just fail immediately after the next repair.

Here is all the circumstantial information I know:
As I said, the repair was maticulous.

It had been very cold here the entire 2500 Kms. The day it ruptured, there was quite a chinook, and the temperature was above freezing for the first time in weeks. The car was left outside idling for about 20 minutes; when I came outside, coolant was pouring all over the driveway. It stands to reason, this is the warmest the engine had become since I repaired the LIM.

I did not think to have my coolant cap tested when I fixed the LIM. Perhaps it is not bleeding as it should, and let the pressure build too high?

The day prior to the second failure, the Service Engine Light came on. I didnt have the chance to get it read before the LIM failed. Unfortunately, I dont know of a place in Calgary that reads codes for free.

So, my questions are these:
Any ideas as to what I should check before doing the repair this time?
Can engine codes be checked with the car not running?
Could this engine code provide me any clue as to what the cause of the failure is?
Does anyone know of a place in Calgary that will read engine codes for free?
Is it even possible that the cap let pressure build high enough to blow out the LIM gasket?
Does anyone have any other theories?

Thanks for your help,
Draug

Calgary_GAGT
01-27-2005, 09:13 PM
The day prior to the second failure, the Service Engine Light came on. I didnt have the chance to get it read before the LIM failed. Unfortunately, I dont know of a place in Calgary that reads codes for free.

Draug

I could be wrong, and given it's happened numerous times before, so this wouldn't come as a huge surprise if I am again... but I'm sure that Auto Value and Part Source offer free scans. I know they're more than happy to test batteries and alt's and I'm sure a buddy of mine had commented on them checking codes.

I'd look in to maybe giving them a buzz and just seeing what they can tell you. I know usually the dealership will run about $80 just to run a diagnostic.

I took my previous car in to a mechanic when it was throwing a code, and he hooked it up and checked er out. Cost me $20 but I got it for a good price for Northern Mopar's. I'm sure if you don't have any luck with AZ or PS, you may be able to get a scan done cheap from a local mechanic shop.

Ridenour
01-28-2005, 05:28 AM
^ ^ Autozone does code reads for free too - they've probably done like 15 for me so far (all the same friggin code) and didn't charge a thing.

intence
01-28-2005, 12:07 PM
They don't have Autozone in Canada. In fact, I don't know if any of the big chains will read codes for free. It's worth calling around to check though.

fastdad1955
01-28-2005, 03:36 PM
First things first! Determine the exact location from where the coolant is leaking from. I "ass"umed that my LIM was leaking after bying the car from a local GM Dealer and they had done the factory recall repair before putting the car up for sale. When i suffered a coolant warning light I checked the engine for what I thought would be a LIM gasket leak. The dealer did a pressure test and found that water pump was the problem. There is a small discharge hole in the shaft area of the water pump to release pressure if it gets to high so that parts are not damaged to badly. fixed the pump my self and saved some cash.....

Draug
01-28-2005, 05:48 PM
First things first! Determine the exact location from where the coolant is leaking from. I "ass"umed that my LIM was leaking after bying the car from a local GM Dealer and they had done the factory recall repair before putting the car up for sale. When i suffered a coolant warning light I checked the engine for what I thought would be a LIM gasket leak. The dealer did a pressure test and found that water pump was the problem. There is a small discharge hole in the shaft area of the water pump to release pressure if it gets to high so that parts are not damaged to badly. fixed the pump my self and saved some cash.....

It most definately is the LIM gasket. I can see it pouring out. Like I said, it has ruptured at the same point it did 2500 Kms ago.

I am just trying to figure out what may be causing it. If I dont track down the cost, the next gasket will only last 2500 Kms also.