ABS self check? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : ABS self check?

Bonzo'97GaGt
01-28-2005, 06:55 PM
I was looking at some threds and found a similar report of a nocking noise comming from the front passenger side of my 97 gagt. Someone said something about an ABS self ckeck? I don't know anything about this, can anyone fill me in?

carsarecool
01-28-2005, 09:18 PM
if its like a clicking, and your low trac light comes on while you hear it, then its a wheel sensor going bad. mine does it too, while im just sitting with the car on in park, i hear the ABS come on and the clicking from the hood and the low trac light flashes on, like it thinks the wheels are locking. then the ABS light comes on and the whole system shuts down, yay for GM electronics..

Bonzo'97GaGt
01-28-2005, 11:19 PM
so there is an ABS checking system? Or is it just the ABS?

eaglesrealm
01-29-2005, 08:54 AM
Yes, there is an ABS checking system. Depending on the model/manufacturer - it will happen at slightly different speeds. However, as far as I know, most self tests occur somewhere around 15 mph after the first time you start the car. You really shouldn't even know its going on, other than maybe hearing the ABS pump running possibly. However, most people do not even notice it happening it is so low.

carsarecool
01-29-2005, 11:07 AM
yeah, so if theirs just a noise you probly shouldnt worry- like he said its just the checking system :) its when the ABS comes on when your just stopping regular and pumps the brakes, or you start getting lights when you hear the noise- then it canbe a problem

Bonzo'97GaGt
01-29-2005, 11:37 PM
Can it occur when the car is in park as well? because just this morning it happened while i was letting it warm up before i left for work. the temp. was at 100 and it was in park, and i heard it. It also seems to sometimes come from the rear.......Still ABS check or what?

eaglesrealm
01-30-2005, 11:25 AM
I would not tend to think this is the ABS. Especially if it is doing it at 0 MPH, in park. That just does not make sense at all, even with a failed wheel speed sensor. So you are in park, car is warming up for a few minutes and all of a sudden you hear some thumping or something?? Does it stop? What does it sound like? How long does it last?

Bonzo'97GaGt
01-30-2005, 02:06 PM
Yes, it happens ive noticed when the temp is at about 100. Wether im driving, or sitting in park. I comes from the front passenger side. and i would describe it as 6 nocks. LOUD soft LOUD soft LOUD soft. It happens fairly quickly and is always 6 times. I also noticed this morning that it came from the rear passenger side!!!AHHHH!!! Yes it just happend all of a sudden at 100. It stops after the 6th quiet nock. It sounds the exact same every time it happens, same speed loudness,etc..... WHAT IS GOING ON?? I can try to record it, but how should i go about doing that?

carsarecool
01-31-2005, 12:11 AM
it'll do it in park, mine will flash the trac light and click even if the car isnt moving, it doesnt even need to be on, if you turn the key to the "on" position before starting itll do it- im not sure that this is what your describing since its coming from the back also. Y

Your right it doesnt make sense for it to happen when the car isnt moving, but it being winter i read in another thread that road salt and water can get in the sensor and make it send false signals/mess up.

Somebody else probly knows more or has had it happen to them- there's only one ABS motor right? if there were a module at each wheel id think both his were going bad and just my front one was but i think its isolated.

Gold99HO
01-31-2005, 10:08 AM
Can it occur when the car is in park as well? because just this morning it happened while i was letting it warm up before i left for work. the temp. was at 100 and it was in park, and i heard it. It also seems to sometimes come from the rear.......Still ABS check or what?

my 94 used to do that it made a clicking nosie when you first started it up right?

Bonzo'97GaGt
01-31-2005, 02:34 PM
Yeah it olny happens the first time i start it up for the day but not right away, when the temp is at 100 it seems like