High Idle (just got it back from dealership) [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : High Idle (just got it back from dealership)

Braves299
01-28-2005, 11:28 PM
I just noticed this tonight (I picked my car up from the dealer yesterday). My car was idling at at about 1750 - 2000 RPM's. At first I thought it was just because it was cold. But even when my car is hot, it is still doing this. I even let my foot off the brake, and the car got up to 30 mph on its own. For those that dont know why it was at the dealer.. here it is: I had to get the ABS pump replaced, along with 2 rear wheel cylinders. Also, the Intake Gasket had to be replaced for the second time :rolleyes: . When I left the dealer yesterday, I immediately got on the highway to see if everything was acting fine, and i realized the cruise control wasn't working. I looked at the throttle cables and realized the cruise control throttle cable was broken away from the plastic wheel it connects to. (It was the dealers fault, and they are going to fix it on monday). Can any of this be causing my car to idle high? Did the dealer screw it up? I've searched for other threads and I can't find one with the EXACT problem as mine. Oh, and My car seems fine when it is in drive. It never idles high until i put it in park. And it doesnt do it all the time. Just about 3 times tonight (which still isnt right :scream: ) Also, i have the wierd shifting problem between 1st and 2nd gear like a lot of members here have. and when im on the highway with cruise control set.. and i start to go up hill... instead of downshifting immediately, the RPM's jump around like crazy and it doesnt know what gear to shift into. I'm starting to think this car is on its last legs :(

I appreciate ANY advice

David

GrahamKracka
01-28-2005, 11:46 PM
i have a strange thing with my 2-3 shif when i have cruise control on..its jumps to 5000+ rpms and stays there

so id say theres a def possibility your cruise control is messup and is causing it

Braves299
01-28-2005, 11:50 PM
^but the cruise cotrol throttle cable isnt even connected anymore.. and if it was that causing the problem.. wouldnt it do it all the time? im so confused and im starting to not like this car as much anymore... :(

2Dambad
01-29-2005, 06:33 AM
Its the throttle postion sensor. It could be a loose connection from replacing the intake gasket, or it could be just worn out. They arent expensive, unless you have to pay the dealer to install it.

blckgrndam99
01-30-2005, 06:34 PM
i had the SAME problem like 5 months ago. just go to autozone and get a new throttle sensor. its like a 10 minute job and mine had been fine since then. before you do it let the car cool though cause mine was pretty close to somethin that was hot

NorKoastal
01-31-2005, 10:08 AM
i had the SAME problem like 5 months ago. just go to autozone and get a new throttle sensor. its like a 10 minute job and mine had been fine since then. before you do it let the car cool though cause mine was pretty close to somethin that was hot

Does this help throttle "feel" My throttle has a little play in it not the instant powa I had....... How much is this part on average??