CV Joint and/or Wheel Bearing [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : CV Joint and/or Wheel Bearing

Chevylover54
01-31-2005, 06:36 PM
Ok guys I need your help. I know the typical sounds that bad bearings make. I have changed both front hub assemblies on my 01 Grand AM GT. Now I have a noise again. Driving straight down the road or turning left there is a thumbing sound and when I turn right the sound goes away. Sounds like a bad right wheel bearing.

So I went and bought a hub assembly and took off my wheel. There was grease all over and as you can guess there was a hole in the boot. It isn't making the typical sounds that a bad CV joint makes. For instance a rachet or grinding sound when turning. My question is can a bad CV joint make the sound that my car is making now? Or do I have a bad wheel bearing and a CV joint that needs to be replaced?

Ridenour
01-31-2005, 07:11 PM
I would definately say a bad CV joint. If your wheel bearing is also bad, you'll hear the rumbling when you get up to speed. My guess, from what you said, is that it's definately the CV joint.

2000GAGT
03-10-2005, 11:07 PM
I think I have the same problem, I just got done changing the front wheel bearings and I'm still getting the same loud sound, and it slightly goes away when I turn right.