LIM Bolts: Loctite or Pipe Sealant?? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : LIM Bolts: Loctite or Pipe Sealant??

Homewrecker
02-02-2005, 10:41 AM
The instructions contained in the LIM gasket kit state to replace the LIM bolts because the new ones already come with a 'bonding agent'.

The price for the bolts are CDN $9.00 and $7.00 EACH. That's ridiculous.
The parts guy said that the 'bonding agent' on the new bolts is pipe sealant.

He said I could re-use my old bolts as long as I clean them really well and use a liquid pipe sealant on the threads. He said even then, they can't guarantee that it won't leak again using the old bolts and that I should really replace them.

I've read in the forums that some people just use plain Loctite (blue, I believe).

At this point I'm not sure what to do. Spend the $70.00 for new bolts, use pipe sealer on the old ones or Loctite on the old ones.

Any suggestions??

95-GT
02-02-2005, 10:59 AM
Clean the old bolts and use loctite.

Malaclypse
02-02-2005, 11:50 AM
Seconded.

eric99gt
02-02-2005, 01:27 PM
I did mine last winter...used pipe sealer. That's what it called for in the haynes manual. The reason you wouldn't use loctite is because the purpose isn't to keep them in. They're actually in contact with the coolant so you don't want any coolant leaking out around them.

95-GT
02-02-2005, 01:38 PM
Use loctite. If you wanna argue, we can take a look at the service manual for the 3x00 and talk with the dealerships.

eric99gt
02-02-2005, 02:11 PM
Not gonna argue. Just stating what the haynes manual said. It would make sense though. Unless my logic doesn't make sense.

AleroME
02-02-2005, 05:23 PM
Loctite makes a Pipe thread sealant.. it has both loctite and pipe thread sealant. for like 2.99 from autozone. OR you could goto the dealer and get the same thing with the GM label for 20 bucks.

Apollyon9515
02-02-2005, 07:18 PM
I used loctite, forgot if it was blue or red tube. But its been like 10+ months no problems.

Homewrecker
02-03-2005, 05:17 AM
Loctite makes a Pipe thread sealant.. it has both loctite and pipe thread sealant. for like 2.99 from autozone. OR you could goto the dealer and get the same thing with the GM label for 20 bucks.

I have a tube of that stuff lying around from a previous job. It's Loctite #592 PST. It locks and seals threads.

I think I'm going to just re-use the old bolts after they've been thoroughly cleaned. I can't justify spending close to $90.00 on bolts when the only apparent difference would be the pre-applied sealant. If there were any other differences (ie. grade, length, etc) I would consider it.