Throwing Code P0442 = Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (After LIM Repair) [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Throwing Code P0442 = Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (After LIM Repair)

Draug
02-02-2005, 06:35 PM
Greetings,

A day after I replaced my LIM, the car has thrown the Code P0442.

I did a search, and it appears the most common cause is a faulty gas cap, or one that is not tightened properly. However, given that the code was not present before the LIM repair, and is now, I am thinking it must be something else.

Given that a fuel cap can trigger this code, it stands to reason that a leak in the fuel lines or fuel rail may also throw this code. I have checked, and double checked these connections, and it there is no leak. All new O-Rings were used in the connections I took apart.

Is any other system monitored by this code? What vacuum lines are monitored by this code? (I have checked all my vacuum lines, and they are all connected. However, it is possible that they are cracked somewhere I suppose. I could replace as needed if I knew what lines are monitored by this code)

Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks.

intence
02-02-2005, 11:56 PM
It's pretty generic Draug. Try resetting it and see if it comes back. Also check the line going from the PCV to the Evap Solonoid, although I think that may throw a different code.

iceman
02-03-2005, 12:14 AM
Also, I can't remember what the code is I had, but I did break the hard plastic tube going from the evap solenoid out towards the back of the car.. will come up w/ a similar code

Draug
02-03-2005, 12:27 AM
This may be a dumb question, but what is the evap selenoid?

Is it that black thing underneath the coil packs?

I have reset the code, and will see if it comes back. I suspect that it will however, since it appeared after my repair.

AleroME
02-03-2005, 12:29 AM
This may be a dumb question, but what is the evaporative selenoid?

Is it that black thing underneath the coil packs?

I have reset the code, and will see if it comes back. I suspect that it will however, since it appeared after my repair.

yup for 99's its below the or behind the ignition coils... .............for 00 +up they moved it next to the EGR valve.

Draug
02-03-2005, 12:32 AM
I have probably cracked one of those larger plastic lines then. They would have been moved around quite a bit while removing the heater core coolant lines. In addition, they were probably more brittle than usuall because of all the heat coming off the exhaust.

Is there a way to test the selenoid itself?

intence
02-03-2005, 10:14 AM
I'm no expert here, but when I ran into problem, I threw a P0440 which I believe wasn't a small leak, but EVAP Solenoid failure. I found that hose from the PCV to the solenoid had come out completely, I eventually ended up replacing the solenoid (it was relatively cheap I think). If you're getting the P0442, it might just be a cracked hose, or loose connection.

The light won't go off until the system doesn't see the failure for x trips or something like that, so once you've checked everything out, reset the SES light and see if it comes back on.

tomh
02-03-2005, 10:30 AM
i have an 00.. and i get this same code in mine like once every 6 months.

tomh
02-03-2005, 05:37 PM
btw.. i forgot to say.. once i fixed it by taking my gas cap off.. and putting it back on.. then reseting the computer.. and it worked fine.

Draug
02-03-2005, 07:46 PM
Well, I havent been able to find any cracks in any of the lines mentioned.

I have erased the code, and the light did not come on today, in three trips. I guess we will see if it stays off.

The one thing I didnt mention was that when I had the car mostly apart fixing the LIM gasket, I hooked up the battery to use the fuel pump to pressure up the lines and make sure my fuel rails and injectors werent going to leak. I didnt want to get the Upper Intake on, and all the other stuff, only to find out the the fuel rail leaked. I just turned the key to the on position so that the fuel pump would pressure up the system. Maybe that tripped the sensor because all of the vacuum lines were disconnected.

I will let you folks know if anything more comes of this.