ABS, Traction light [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : ABS, Traction light

Zurge
02-06-2005, 03:31 PM
For some reason almost every morning about 5-10 minutes after I start my car and an driving down the road the ABS light comes one, as well as the Low Traction light for about 2 seconds. Then the Traction Off light comes on and stays on until i get to work about 30 minutes later. Morning seems to be the only time that this happens. I live in Michigan so it is cold, but it hasnt done this all winter until about 2 weeks ago. Does anyone have any ideas of what this could be.

rizer
02-06-2005, 09:34 PM
I had the exact same problem few months ago when i lived in Michigan. Chances are your gonna need to replace the front hub bearing, being the sensors are built into it. I got lucky and unplugged the sensor connection running to the hub, cleaned it up a bit and plug it back in... hasent happened since and that was 3 months ago.

Just do a search, theres countless topics

Zurge
02-07-2005, 09:13 PM
I'll have to try cleaning the connection first. Hopefully that does the trick.

eaglesrealm
02-08-2005, 11:31 AM
Zurge, it will almost always be the wheel bearing going bad. As rizer stated, these had the built in wheel speed sensors that are "maintnence free", so you cannot just swap out sensors. I got a replacement at Autozone for just over $100. The repair is not too bad, but takes a little bit of time. There was an older thread with some instructions on how to do it yourself.

The trick is getting the code read to find out which WSS it is that is bad. Autozone has never been able to read ABS codes for me, so unless you know someone, it costs ya somewhere for a code scan.

Zurge
02-13-2005, 07:33 PM
So it wouldnt be a bad connection to the Sensor, it would be a wheel bearing more than likely?

tomh
02-14-2005, 06:19 AM
my car has the same problem but my SVS light comes on with the abs and trac off.. i had it to the dealer about a year ago and it had this problem and the cleaned it and it worked for about a year now its doing it again and i was going to try and clean it myself...

does anyone have a picture of exactly what i need to clean?

(the dealer just replaced the hub and $1,100 worth of other stuff on my front passanger side wheel about a month before this happened to me a year ago)