Cooling system questions? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Cooling system questions?

Love my GT
02-07-2005, 01:24 PM
My car just started leaking coolant. It is some how getting on the serpentine belt and ending up all over the passanger side of the motor compartment. Today while trying to see where it might be leaking I noticed on the #1 cylinder, below and to the left of the exhaust port some small bubbles forming. My oil is fine, no foam. This looks like it would be a head gasket failure. Or could it be the dreaded LIM gasket leaking and the coolant making it to that spot and bubbling. Would the LIM leak get on the serpentine belt? I looked the water pump over and don't think it could be that leaking. Also I noticed last night while driving my temp. guage never really got above 160-165. This was driving on the highway for almost 40 miles and the temp outside was low 40's. Any help will be appreciated and I will try to answer your questions to the best of my limited ability.
Thanks
Cliff

coupe
02-07-2005, 01:34 PM
Its your LIM gasket, 100% sure about it.

Love my GT
02-07-2005, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the reply. It is actually by the #2 cylinder not #1 if that makes any difference.

coupe
02-07-2005, 02:59 PM
It really doesnt make a difference. Look under your throttle body, is it wet?

NorKoastal
02-07-2005, 03:33 PM
My car just started leaking coolant. It is some how getting on the serpentine belt and ending up all over the passanger side of the motor compartment. Today while trying to see where it might be leaking I noticed on the #1 cylinder, below and to the left of the exhaust port some small bubbles forming. My oil is fine, no foam. This looks like it would be a head gasket failure. Or could it be the dreaded LIM gasket leaking and the coolant making it to that spot and bubbling. Would the LIM leak get on the serpentine belt? I looked the water pump over and don't think it could be that leaking. Also I noticed last night while driving my temp. guage never really got above 160-165. This was driving on the highway for almost 40 miles and the temp outside was low 40's. Any help will be appreciated and I will try to answer your questions to the best of my limited ability.
Thanks
Cliff

Double check your power steering pump too.... I have a leaking resevoir which when overflowing seeps onto the serpentine belt...

Love my GT
02-07-2005, 08:03 PM
This leak is definitely coolant cause I can smell it and see steam from the front of the car at night. I will take a look under the throttle body tomorrow. Maybe the extended warranty will come in handy.

coupe
02-07-2005, 08:25 PM
I hope, becuase this wont be cheap.

Clyde
02-10-2005, 05:31 PM
Im gonna put my money on the water pump.

I have this problem myself right now. At first i couldnt really tell where it was from and figured it must be this LIM everone is always bitchin about. but i took it to my mechanic and said theres no way it can be the LIM if its only wet on the passenger side.

95-GT
02-10-2005, 05:48 PM
Clyde, It could be the LIM. One side of the gasket may have broke, while the other is still intact.

Love My GT, I have had this problem on one of my customers cars once, and it ended up being a bad water pump. I luckly had a spare one laying around, and a $5 gasket was all it needed. I would yank the pulley off, and inspect the actual pump itself.

Love my GT
02-10-2005, 05:52 PM
I took the car to a garage and had the mechanic look to see where he thought the water was coming from. He said he was certain that it was the water pump. So I went ahead and changed it yesterday and so far no water leaks. However, he did say that it looks like my LIM gasket is leaking some oil.

95-GT
02-10-2005, 05:54 PM
I took the car to a garage and had the mechanic look to see where he thought the water was coming from. He said he was certain that it was the water pump. So I went ahead and changed it yesterday and so far no water leaks. However, he did say that it looks like my LIM gasket is leaking some oil.

The gasket, or the rtv on the deck of the block between the lim and block? Thats another very common problem too.

Love my GT
02-10-2005, 07:51 PM
He didn't say really, but it does kinda look loke the oil is coming out between the LIM and the block. The car doesn't use any oil between changes or any spots on the ground so I am not really worried about it at this point.

95-GT
02-10-2005, 09:05 PM
If oil can leak out, dirt can get inside. Get it fixed, before you have to replace more then just some RTV.

Love my GT
02-11-2005, 12:15 PM
I didn't think of it like that. Now the problem is finding a garage to accept my warranty. It seems no one around here wants to deal with all the phone calls necessary to get the repairs covered. Warranty has to give cerification number before any work can begin.

mr_eh
02-11-2005, 12:20 PM
call up your dealer

Love my GT
02-11-2005, 09:46 PM
I did call the local Pontiac dealer and they refuse to honor any warranty other than a factory GM warranty or an extended warranty that they sell. Another Chevy dealer said they would deal with the warranty, but expected me to pay the costs and let the warranty company then reimburse me. I said no deal to this offer because if they don't follow procedure for getting authorization for parts and repairs I will be the one getting screwed.

badboy2451
02-11-2005, 10:40 PM
maybe you could try to somehow getting it in writing that you will be fully reimbursed for the parts and labor and have both other parties sign and verify it, so that way you cant get screwed

atleast i think that would be a good idea