Engine Temp Guage?? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Engine Temp Guage??

gtxn3
02-08-2005, 11:42 AM
Hello, I just bought a 2002 Pontiac Grand Am Gt V6 (RamAir), and it currently holds about 45000 Miles on the Engine. Ive had it for about a week, and Ive noticed that the temperature gauge goes over the middle mark. It occaisonaly goes over by 1 mark, although the other day at the bank drive thru it reached two marks over the middle mark. I took it back to the dealership and some butch dyke at the Service Dept, said to take it to a Pontiac Dealership (it was a Nissan Lot). I asked the service manager there and he said ACCORDING to Pontiac it was normal. I bought the car AS IS and so I feel like everyone is feeding me Bull. Ive never had a car that had the temperature go over the middle mark unless it was seriously overheating becuase of a failed water pump etc. Can someone help me!? This is my first new car, (that I purchased becuase i got tired of old car trouble) Is this really normal or do I have a problem?

Thanks

atc3434
02-08-2005, 11:47 AM
That is absolutely normal with the GAGT. Nothing at all to be concerned about. The car must reach 227 degrees before the fans will even turn on. Sitting still in a drive-through line or at a traffic light will usually see an increase in temperature. Many vehicles temp guages are really slow and inaccurate. The on dash temperature isn't gospel, but its pretty quck reacting and accurate. If you clear the 3/4 mark on a regular basis, I'd be concerned, but that doesn't happen in a properly opperating car.

sc02grandam
02-08-2005, 11:47 AM
as long as you're not in the red you're fine

tomh
02-08-2005, 11:56 AM
yuppers mine does that too