Smoking new brakes [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Smoking new brakes

resevil83
02-08-2005, 12:54 PM
I just installed pfyc carbon metallic brake pads and I just bought new duralast front rotors. I installed my setup. Everything seemed ok but then I was driving and noticed a funny smell. I got out and my drivers side setup was smoking. What could I have done wrong? On the passenger side I was having difficulties getting the pads on the rotor but then I realized I could compress the small caliper bracket bolts into their housing. I know you compress the large piston in all the way and I did for both sides. I didnt compress the two screws on the drivers side because everything slid in fine. I pumped the brakes when I was done torquining everything down. Could it be the brake cleaner I sprayed all over the place?

Panacea
02-08-2005, 02:29 PM
I can say it's not the brake cleaner. It evaporates and there will be nothing left of it.

Only thing I can guess it could be is that a pad is rubbing against the rotor.

Braves299
02-08-2005, 02:45 PM
did you have to buff the rotor before installing? is it anything like the original one?

2002AmSE
02-08-2005, 02:46 PM
"Only thing I can guess it could be is that a pad is rubbing against the rotor."

To check for that, raise the front end, put the car in neutral and see if that front tire moves easily.

resevil83
02-12-2005, 07:06 PM
I didn't have to buff the rotor. I have driven a lot of miles already. I'll try and see if the wheel moves freely while in neutral.

Hexx
02-12-2005, 09:06 PM
Carbon metallic pads smell when they heat up....if you are hard brakeing that is. Mine smelled like burning clutch for a while...it goes away after a while.

If anything, you didnt clean the rotors good enough, or there is extra crap on there...it will burn off and go away (as long as a caliper isnt stuck heh).