Hit more water - Car keeps dying now [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Hit more water - Car keeps dying now

kse73
02-08-2005, 08:27 PM
Well, I had problems before when I hit about 2 ft of water last year. Changed the oil.....car ran like crap for awhile then it was fine. But whenever it rained, I could not step on it too much or the car would feel like it would misfire. So I generally didnt drive my car too much in the rain.

Well the other night I hit a puddle at the end of a driveway and the car started to hesitate horribly then died. It starts up fine each time but once it tries to idle it stutters till it dies.

I went to sleep hoping it would dry out and when I drove to work (8 minute drive) it was fine until the last stretch. It died about 6 times before I could park. I tried driving it home and once again, it was fine until I was down the street from my house and it stuttered...I had to keep goin to neutral at stoplights and keeping my rpms up....and shifting from there to keep it from dying.

I think it may be my spark plugs or wires....because Im not quite sure if water couldve made it to the cai.

Soooo now Im hopin that it'll dry out and be drivable so I can change the oil/get the damn thing looked at. Anyone have any words of wisdom?

kse73
02-09-2005, 05:33 PM
any input anyone?

Ridenour
02-09-2005, 07:23 PM
hydrolock anyone?

if it's not from the water, it could be that your wires aren't seated properly. After I installed my MSD 8mm's, I had problems with hesitation / dieing. I just ended up popping the hood, pushing down on the boots really hard, and no more problems.

kse73
02-09-2005, 07:38 PM
If its hydrolock - wouldnt it die and not start up anymore?

And I checked my wires - theyre all in.

kse73
02-10-2005, 02:03 PM
Seems like you cant count on the forum for help these days. Maybe I should just make some incoherent comment about how I got pulled over and have everyone and their mother have an opinion on the matter.

kse73
02-10-2005, 08:39 PM
Nevermind - it magically went away again. :wtf:

braves511
02-10-2005, 08:43 PM
In the future if you post in the all go or powertrain i forget which on this forum but the one about engine specific youll get more answers quicker.

action
02-11-2005, 07:36 AM
Replace your spark plug wires, if they are either bit old, water will cause them to arc to ground and cause a poor spark on any or all cylinders which will cause the car to run bad or not at all.

In the meantime, when this happens, get some WD40 lubricant and drown the wires in that and let it sit. WD40 displaces any water, dont start it up right away, you have to let it sit for about 15 mins for the aerolsol accelerants do eveporate (or you may have a fire!!!)

Your problem currently goes away as the wires dry them selves out, new good quality wires with a little dielectic grease in the terminals will solve your problem.

kse73
02-11-2005, 07:45 AM
Thank you. Its very much appreciated. I'll be goin to pick up some new wires soon.