Car shuts off at startup sometimes [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Car shuts off at startup sometimes

Panacea
02-09-2005, 01:38 PM
My car will shut off right after the POST test when the car has been driven recently and shut off (Say I go to the grocery store or something).

What happens is I start the car and it does it's POST test, then it just acts like it's not getting any fuel and dies. I thought it could be my K&N since I haven't cleaned it in about 6mo-1yr, but it may be something else.

It's almost like the idle is too low. This doesn't happen every time, probably once or twice a week or so.

Anyone have any suggestions?

daniellevility
02-09-2005, 10:00 PM
Funny, my car has being doing the exact same thing today. it worked just fine,went up to SC and back (im in FL), no problems, but today i wanted to back it up some so i could clean the inside of the door and it wouldnt start.. advice would be really really appreciated..

AleroME
02-09-2005, 11:05 PM
MAF unit.. i believe is causing it. When my 12volt wire to the MAF unit was broken in the harness plug. My car couldn't idle or it'll die. I'll restart and die. But if I gave it gas, it kept it going.

Panacea
02-10-2005, 02:28 AM
Well mine will do it a couple times and then work.

I don't have to keep the gas pressed, I just need to tap it to rev it a slight bit and then all is fine. I get no dummy lights or anything.

gyoung1988
02-11-2005, 07:57 AM
I am having similar issues with mine. In the morning it starts fine, but after I drive it for a while (1/2 hour or so), shut it off and let it set for 15 minutes, it will not start. I have to let it set for another hour or so and it starts just fine.

It turns over fine, but it acts like it is starved for fuel. Could this be a fuel pump going bad.

Malaclypse
02-12-2005, 12:35 AM
Sounds like a security issue to me. Does your security light start flashing when this happens?

RedGrandTour
02-12-2005, 06:50 PM
Last time my car did that it turned out to be a bad fuel injector #5. I had to keep the gas pedal down and keep reving to keep it on. When it finally got bad the SES lights would flash as I drove the car.

Panacea
02-12-2005, 08:14 PM
It's not a security issue.

2005GTBLK
02-13-2005, 07:19 AM
My GAGT does the same thing...well. Kinda..

If I start my car in the morning and then go out to the store, when I get back to the car (1/2 Hour Later) and start it, it turnsover quite a few times and sounds almost like its struggling to start but then finnaly starts. At first I had thought it was the -40 weather but its happens in warm weather too.

It's an 2005 GT with less then 3000Km's what could possibly be wrong?

edogg081989
02-13-2005, 10:42 AM
My Car Used to do that but I started putting premium gas in it And I do not have that problem

BadGT471
02-13-2005, 11:44 AM
It's probably bad gas.. My buddies truck did that a couple of weeks ago.. Once he got through that tank of gas and switched from Mobil to Amoco or Shell, he stopped having those problems.. I would start there.. May be a bad batch of gas with some water in it?

Panacea
02-13-2005, 05:13 PM
WOW! Lets see this thread goes from bad gas to security issues.

Let me rephrase what I have said.

Once or twice a week (1 or 2 startups out of probably 20-30) the car will act up. It only happens when the car is warm (eg. when it has been driven within the last 5-30 minutes). Cold startups give me absoluetly no problem. What happens is that I start the car, the gauges do their POST test, the idle goes up to 1000rpms like normal, then the idle goes down. It should stop and stay at 5-600rpms but instead it just dies. It's almost like it sets the idle too low. I start up the car again and it usually does it once more or so. Usually if it does it the second time, I will tap the gas to get the rpms up and then it idles like normal.

It's not a security issue becasue I would have the security light and I wouldn't be able to drive the car for like 15 minutes.

Its not bad gas because the problem is random. It happens on different tanks of gas with different brands of fuel.

If I had to guess it would have to be with the idle control sensor, a semi-clogged fuel injector, maybe an MAF issue, etc.

From what I am reading, no one else has experienced this problem except for maybe AleroME. Everyone else's problem have absolutely nothing to do with what I am describing.

2005GTBLK - make sure you turn the key to the "ON" position (DO NOT START IT) for 3-5 seconds so the fuel pump can initialize. You will hear the noise of it doing this. When that noise stops you can start it like normal. I would guess that's your problem. When you get back in your car to leave you ususally are in too much of a hurry and don't think to allow it to initialize. I know that's how I am sometimes.

dj2229
02-14-2005, 01:25 PM
I have had similar issues. My car would just kill on me at 70 mph. Sometimes it wouldnt start.. blah blah. I have called my dealer, had them keep the car for a day and a half and they knew nothing. Of course it acted perfectly for them. I have been told numerous things it could be. Bad Ground, injectors, fuel filter. I have replaced most everything thats not expensive and it still has problems. Although, it has gotten much much better the last 2 months or so. I have no clue as to what the problem is, but I can assure you its not security nor is it bad gas.

Possibly battery cables?

Panacea
02-14-2005, 02:12 PM
Actually, that's nothing like my problem. Thanks anyway.

t0rch75
02-17-2005, 09:04 PM
I am having the same exact problem with my car. I have a 96 GA v6. My car drives fine to work and back. If I am out running errands the car gives me crap 2 out of 3 time starting back up. It sits there like it wants to die. RPM's bounce from 1000 to about 500. Sometimes it dies completely. I am a pretty experienced mechanic. This thing has me puzzled so far. I have replaced the MAF, TPS, Idle Air control module, ignition coils, god only knows what else. It only happens when the car is hot. This has been going on for about 2 years and gets a little worse every day. I have removed every piece of speed equipment from my car. (back to stock basically) Not a damn thing has helped yet. I am going to test the fuel system pressure this weekend. The real kicker is no idiot lights come on. One time the ABS light started to flash and stopped. That is the only light that has ever come on. I have looked for codes with a scan tool. Not a single code. Took it to AutoZone. They scanned it, no codes either. If anyone has any insight I would greatly appreciate it. Sorry I am not a frequent poster but this one has hit a nerve with me big time.

:hang:

t0rch75
02-17-2005, 09:21 PM
My best guess at this point is fuel pump or injector. (I have an air fuel ratio gauge installed.) The car has been running a little leaner than usual. At WOT I usually sit right at stoichiometric. I am well into the lean side when the car even runs for that matter. I still can't prove this yet though, and the fuel pump is a pricey one for this car. I am already in pretty deep financially trying to troubleshoot this. The other thing I noticed is if I pull out the PCV valve it starts to stumble and act like it does during a warm start. (basically creating a vacuum leak) The car recovers after a few seconds though. So I am pretty sure it isnít a vacuum leak. When I replaced the fuel filter you must depressurize the fuel system. On the 96 this means climbing under the car and unplugging the fuel pump harness. Then running the car until it dies a few times. During that process the car ran just like it did during the warm start issue. That is why I am thinking this is fuel system related, just not sure what part. (injector, regulator, pump, etc.) If I get this damn thing figured out I will post the solution for sure. I have driven the crap out of this car and it is the first time it has actually let me down. I am not going to give up on it just yet. Hope this helps.

Rob

99GApunk
02-17-2005, 09:53 PM
clean anything you can, filter, screens, ect. this used to happen to me a lot. since ive installed my CAI and cleened the TB screen its only happened a couple isolated times

Panacea
02-18-2005, 01:53 AM
I used Seafoam a couple days ago. I put it in the crankcase, gastank, and fed it through the PCV valve. So far it hasn't been acting up. I'm thinking right now that it was just dirty injectors.

t0rch75
02-18-2005, 07:45 AM
I will give that a shot. Thanks.

t0rch75
02-18-2005, 09:40 PM
Seafoam didn't help. Finally got the car to spit out a trouble code. Just my luck it was the super helpfull P0300. (misfire code) I am going to replace the ICM tomorrow and see what that does. I am going to also pull and clean the injectors. I noticed my timing readings were a little funny. Something like -24 degrees. Crank trigger maybe? Well at this point I won't keep boring everyone with details. When I fix it, I will post it.

Rob

:horse:

ImpetuousRacer
09-01-2007, 01:53 AM
Ok, I have come across 4+ threads including this one. I have this problem. I start it up, starts fine, and then dies immediately. I start it up, and feather the gas for just a second, and its fine. It happens some days, not others. Changed MAF. Going to try TPS sesnor and IAC next. Havent found a sure solution. Has anyone found out for sure yet?

showthread.php?t=48173

showthread.php?t=56081

showthread.php?t=16324