Steering wheel shakes [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel shakes

JRSJF
02-10-2005, 04:33 PM
When i get on the breaks, my steering wheels shakes. Now do you think thats the rotors needing to be cut, or is it something more serious. I am making an appointment to take the car in but i was just looking for a heads up. The call only has 11000 miles. Any input would be nice. Thanks alot

vinniGT
02-10-2005, 04:47 PM
i'd say your rotors are warped?

BiHStL
02-10-2005, 04:50 PM
yeah either rotors or allignment, no matter what, it shouldnt be serious. If it is your stock rotors i bet they are the problem. Stock rotors on our cars suck! If you have the cash, just get new ones, cutting em shorten the life, youll need new ones anyways

andrewe77
02-10-2005, 07:16 PM
Get Wagners with a lifetime warranty. I've had mine for thousands of miles and no warping.

JRSJF
02-10-2005, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the help. Im guessing the warranty doesnt cover the rotors does it?

SpideyxMan
02-10-2005, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the help. Im guessing the warranty doesnt cover the rotors does it?

Depends on how many miles and if you can convince the deal to fork out the money.

UNCTYPE-S
02-10-2005, 08:52 PM
they will cover your first time cutting them, anything after that is all on you i believe.

AznGA
02-10-2005, 09:23 PM
I think brake warranty is up to 18000 miles. Try convincing them though. Brakes should last longer than that. My car has 64000 miles. I am still on my stock rotors. Got it machined at Midas once.

andrewe77
02-10-2005, 09:26 PM
Yes, they will replace the rotors for you under warranty and then 11,000 miles later they will be warped too. GM uses a cheap, ****ty alloy for their rotors.

The only solution is to go aftermarket. The Wagner rotors have a lifetime warranty against warpage.

99GApunk
02-10-2005, 10:55 PM
The only solution is to go aftermarket. The Wagner rotors have a lifetime warranty against warpage.

or to go easy on the brakes.... but who wants to do that? not i

Vince
02-10-2005, 11:06 PM
It's your rotors, it happened to me at about 9000 miles on the car. I took it to the dealer and they resurfaced them, no charge, and had no problems with them anymore. I bought slotted rotors at 50000 miles, but the original rotors were fine. So they shouldn't charge you for it.

JRSJF
02-11-2005, 11:08 AM
Thanks everyone for the help. I just made an appointment to get them checked out on tuesday

Quinny
02-12-2005, 06:14 PM
Everyone's right it's the rotors. A mechanic told me to lessen the chance of the rotors warpping again I should not keep full pressure on the brake pedal when stopped at a traffic light, the rotor will begin to cool down except where the pads make contact with the rotor that area will retain the heat longer and if the brakes are real hot the temp. difference can cause the warp. Also if you have rear drums make sure the brakes are kept in adjustment, this helps prolong the life of the brakes and components. Keep in mind the brakes and rotors are considered wear items and sometimes[I][U] dealers will give you a hard time about repairing and/or replacing brake parts.

Just throwing in my 2 cents worth.

Dan