Motor Oil [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Motor Oil

Landon
02-13-2005, 07:00 PM
Someone recently told me that I should do two oil changes with normal oil so that the car can brake in, and on the 3rd oil change use synthetic oil because it is better for the car. Is this an accurate statement?

Malaclypse
02-13-2005, 07:54 PM
Generally speaking, yes.

Run the factory fill for about 1k.. Change the oil for dino. Run that about 3 - 4k. Then switch to synthetic.

Oh, and all the people that tell you a gentle break-in is best are wrong. Information on a good break-in can be found here. http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

While its not necessary to do this in the car's first 20 miles, its a damn good idea to put plenty of load on the engine within the first 200. Put it in second gear.. from about 30 mph run it up to 60 and let off the gas. Don't upshift. Do that every so often along with having your foot in the throttle and your rings will seat fine.

scotiez
02-14-2005, 03:51 AM
I changed oil at 1000 miles when i first bought my car. Advised by the dealership. On my 1st oil Change i switched to Mobil One Synthetic. According to GM and Mobil One it is perfectly fine to switch to synthetic at that time.

GAGTSCTGuy
02-14-2005, 05:29 AM
A 3,000 (change #1) I let the dealer do a change, regular oil, at 6,000 (change #2) I started putting in Mobile One, and have since then.