95 GAGT won't start. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 95 GAGT won't start.

Chock
02-13-2005, 08:37 PM
I live in Toronto, and due to lack of funds I had to garage my GAGT for about 7 months now since I had no money to pay for insurance, I love the car and did not want to sell it. Now that I finally have steady income I decided to start it up. Only problem is, it won't.

It has been a pretty cold winter, and it is fairly obvious that the car has 0 power, the key will turn but no lights no nothing. So I called up a friend to help me boost it, we hooked up the jumper cables to his 2000 maxima and tried to start it up. Unfortunatly nothing changed, the key turns, 0 power. I am pretty sure we hooked the cables right, and thus I am not sure what is going on. The car was in perfect condition when it went into the garage.

I was wondering if anyone had similar problems and knows what the problem might be. My first 2 guesses are, either the battery is !@$$ed or could it be that the power from the Maxima's battery is not enough to start my car at the current conditions (-5 degrees outside, probably around same in garage since it is not a heated garage)?

Any insight on the matter would be highly appriciated. Thank you for the time.

Dan

DrFabulous
02-13-2005, 08:46 PM
Take the battery out, hook it up to a charger, let it get fully charged, and give her another shot. Sometimes that'll get her going.

Mike Jung
02-13-2005, 10:23 PM
Yeah, fully charge the car battery before using the car.

If the car battery is fully dead:
Yes, boosting the car battery won't do anything (in regards to starting the car).
The car battery has to have some juice in it first, before jump starting will work.

So fully charge the car battery, before driving the car.
So you do not kill (by trying to charge your dead car battery) your alternator!

95-GT
02-13-2005, 11:03 PM
Ok lets start with this. What does the voltage read on the battery? If it is 12+, then follow the red positive wire to the starter and check voltage there. If it reads low, then its a bad wire. If it reads good, then other wires from the starter are bad. OR, your ignition switch is bad, and there is a recall on that. Also, make sure that the ground wire on the battery is seated properly, and isnt gunked up or loose. A bad ground will do that also. Let me know

Chock
02-14-2005, 08:44 AM
Thx for all the helpful replies, I will do the above to day and will let you know how it goes. Once again thx.