Not fixing the LIM leak [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Not fixing the LIM leak

carsarecool
02-14-2005, 02:12 PM
I searched and found a bunch of stuff on peoples' experiences with fixing the Lower Intake Manifold leak and diagnosing it but what happens when you dont get it fixed and its an internal leak? I read some stuff about having to get your motor replaced, is that a definite?

The low coolant light on our Alero (76,000 miles) has been coming on and i checked the oil cap the other day and found the millkshake-light brown crap under it- problem is i cant convince my mom how big of a problem it is and why its worth $700+. so what happens if you dont get it fixed for a while? it gets driven everyday...

either lemme know what you guys think or point me to a thread i missed that had some info about that.

Molson
02-14-2005, 02:14 PM
enough coolant in the oil will fry the engine.

When she drives down the road and the whole works grind to a stop, then she'll know its a problem.

Blazes49
02-14-2005, 02:14 PM
What a monopoly that is on gaskets...haha, my car is in the shop today getting both gaskets replaced, same deal. FORTUNATELY for me, my extended warranty is valid until Nov. of this year. Now to your thread, yes, you do really need to get that taken care of. What year is the alero??

99GApunk
02-14-2005, 04:12 PM
im having the dreaded LIM problem too, i know putting it off and all that is bad, i started to hear the machine gun type noise this morning, i wont be driving it to work tomorow.

but my question is, is it even safe enough for the engine for me to drive it to where i plan to get it fixed?

Ridenour
02-14-2005, 04:39 PM
I'd vote for yeh, as long as it's less then like 10 miles at max. I would just try to not rev it over 2500 rpms.

Then again, you could always have it towed - better safe then sorry.

It depends how bad you think it is from the sound.

atc3434
02-14-2005, 04:55 PM
i started to hear the machine gun type noise this morning, i wont be driving it to work tomorow.

Too Late!!!

99GApunk
02-14-2005, 04:56 PM
when i drove it from my gf's house to mine which is 2 to 3 miles the sound had dissappeared by the time i pulled into my driveway

im thinking it will be ok to drive to the shop. just figured id ask some more knowing people then me

99GApunk
02-14-2005, 04:57 PM
Too Late!!!

too late as in im ****ed? like how ****ed?

GrahamKracka
02-14-2005, 05:07 PM
the internals are already damaged

let your mom learn the hard way...new car time :p

99GApunk
02-14-2005, 05:10 PM
:(... definitely dont have enough for a new car

AznGA
02-14-2005, 05:45 PM
I think mine just stopped leaking. I can see the leak on heads, but my coolent level stays the same, and the oil looks fine.

Mike Jung
02-14-2005, 06:22 PM
I think mine just stopped leaking. I can see the leak on heads, but my coolent level stays the same, and the oil looks fine.
I would sugguest getting a 'Used Oil Analysis' done on a sample of your used motor oil.

See what it says for 'Test for Glycol' (in the oil).

Labs that can do it:
Blackstone Laboratories (http://www.blackstone-labs.com)

WearCheck (http://www.wearcheck.com) (They have a location in the Greater Toronto Area - Mississauga)

carsarecool
02-14-2005, 06:25 PM
yeah its probly gonna be a "learn the hard way" and its a 99 alero

mcgrady
02-14-2005, 06:31 PM
It only takes about 1/2 litre of coolant mixed in with engine oil to destroy the crankshaft bearings on the 3400. If you are hearing mechanical noise already, it's too late.

Hexx
02-14-2005, 06:47 PM
I drove a good couple thousand miles before I figured out why the low coolant light kept coming on every damn 500 miles...and why I needed to keep putting coolant in.

I got it fixed when the coolant light came on every other day....no issues have arised due to this...it was about 5K miles more with the fixed LIM ($600 at dealership).....so yeah.

Pass
02-14-2005, 07:37 PM
Don't ignore this issue and get it fixed asap.

Mines getting done this week.. 2000 grand am gt... its only got 52000 m on it......
its gonna cost me around 450 canadian... gtting parts at cost and labor my buddy is doing it.. (hes a gm machanic)

good luck....

Pass

Hexx
02-14-2005, 07:43 PM
Don't ignore this issue and get it fixed asap.

Mines getting done this week.. 2000 grand am gt... its only got 52000 m on it......
its gonna cost me around 450 canadian... gtting parts at cost and labor my buddy is doing it.. (hes a gm machanic)

good luck....

Pass

Umm...what does $450 funny money work out to be USD? All the parts you need, it will come out to $110 USD.

badboy2451
02-14-2005, 07:58 PM
so i got the machine gun sound but it definitely isn't anywhere close to where the video sounded like...i was thinkin that it was just the piston slap and nothing else

the sound is vague, but it is there. anybody else has this low sound??

GaRedCoupe
02-14-2005, 08:18 PM
If you know you would have to replace the engine due to not changing the gasket and just ignored it. I'd pretty much say your screwed. Not GM's fault when it go's so far.

99GApunk
02-14-2005, 10:48 PM
If you know you would have to replace the engine due to not changing the gasket and just ignored it. I'd pretty much say your screwed. Not GM's fault when it go's so far.

well other than the recent low coolant light, my engine bay had no signs of leaks and my car has run perfectly fine, my coolant light came on id say about 2 weeks ago, i dont drive my car that much (43k on my 99) and i checked the level, it was low but not drastically so i didnt really think twice about it, just had it scheduled for me and my buddy to change the oil and try to find a leak later this week.

now all of a sudden my engine is ****... sucks.

carsarecool
02-15-2005, 06:41 AM
its not making the machine gun sound yet, only symptons are the oil cap and low coolant light- does it cost more when its an internal leak, like if you had to have the crank bearings replaced (sounds like big money) then if it was just leaking externally on the ground?

Pass
02-15-2005, 09:57 AM
Umm...what does $450 funny money work out to be USD? All the parts you need, it will come out to $110 USD.

well... 450 canadian to USD is around 375US.

im getting the parts at cost for 100 bucks ... and im given my buddy 350 for labor.. cuz hes saving me like 400 bucks either way I look at it.

Irate
02-15-2005, 10:12 AM
The low coolant light on our Alero (76,000 miles) has been coming on and i checked the oil cap the other day and found the millkshake-light brown crap under it- problem is i cant convince my mom how big of a problem it is and why its worth $700+. so what happens if you dont get it fixed for a while? it gets driven everyday...

Firstly, who the hell is charging you $700+ for a LIM gasket fix?

Secondly, present it to your mom like this: either spend the money now (it should not be over $500) or spend $5,000 to have a new engine installed later. Its a fact, not theory.

carsarecool
02-15-2005, 10:27 AM
Yeah Im gonna try that- reason I said that was dont most dealers charge from 6-900 dollars for that repair? I thought thats what I read, would be great if it was cheaper. I just know theres a ton of labor, and most likely wouldnt wanna get this done someplace other than a dealer :(

Irate
02-15-2005, 02:52 PM
Dealers charge a lot for blown head gaskets - this is NOT a head gasket and does not require nearly as much time. If they even get close to $500, there's a problem.

tjc13
02-15-2005, 03:01 PM
IrateWS6: I totally agree with you that a LIM repair should not cost close to $500. But, the fact is that many people are being charged anywhere from $600-$7xx at the GM dealer. Do you have any suggestions on what to do about this "problem"?

Carmaniac
02-15-2005, 06:06 PM
i have had the low coolant light come on at least 5 times a month for the last 4 months every since i installed my thermostat. i thought it was just because there was air bubbles working there way out. i have heard a slapping/ticking noise at idle but it isnt that bad. do i have this problem?????

99GApunk
02-15-2005, 06:38 PM
i just got quoted 400 to 500 bucks to get mine fixed on monday. its pretty much my only option, the dealer would charge anywhere around 800 or more, and me and my friends just dont have the time or patience... especially in the cold

carsarecool
02-16-2005, 02:04 PM
Whod you get to do it for 4-500, private mechanic? I forgot they hafta change your oil and flush the coolant too right, which adds about 80-100

pontga00
02-16-2005, 02:38 PM
Dealers charge a lot for blown head gaskets - this is NOT a head gasket and does not require nearly as much time. If they even get close to $500, there's a problem.

A little OT here, but maybe not...

Does anyone have any idea how much a dealer would charge to do a head/UIM/LIM/TB swap? Just labor, I have all the parts (including gaskets and head bolts)

99GApunk
02-16-2005, 06:01 PM
Whod you get to do it for 4-500, private mechanic? I forgot they hafta change your oil and flush the coolant too right, which adds about 80-100

yeah a private mechanic, he did some work on my dad's blazer and is well respected, the 500 includes an oil change and stuff too, i usually do my own but i have no time plus its going in and needs to be flushed anyways. it also includes patching a slow leak in one of my tires if they can find it.

funny thing is this guy is a cousin of the guy who owns the pontiac dealership i got my car at, he said theres no way he would bring it to the dealership for this, way too much money. he also says he gets a lot people with the same problem looking for cheaper prices after they stop at the dealership

Irate
02-16-2005, 09:21 PM
A little OT here, but maybe not...

Does anyone have any idea how much a dealer would charge to do a head/UIM/LIM/TB swap? Just labor, I have all the parts (including gaskets and head bolts)
I'll charge you $300 + materials :)

But seriously, the fact that you're involving the heads changes everything - it adds a LOT to the labor/parts cost.

UIM/LIM/TB:
- TB gasket
- UIM gasket
- LIM gasket
- coolant flush

UIM/LIM/TB/Heads:
- TB gasket
- UIM gasket
- LIM gasket
- coolant
- oil
- head gaskets
- head bolts
- head change requires extra labor time too, including taking off the exhaust manifolds etc.

AznGA
02-17-2005, 01:54 PM
So when the coolent is in the engine, would it be only visible when you open the oil cap? It doesn't go deep enough to be visible on dipstick?

I am gonna be serious about this now. Low Coolent light came on today for like 2 seconds. I called 2 dealers around my area and they said $600 and $800 for LIM gasket replace. Where is a GM dealer that only charges $500? I also have WAI, but even though I am outta warranty, do you think dealer will be anal about it?

pontga00
02-17-2005, 02:08 PM
Rob, I'm actually getting Pucci's stuff from him. If it wasn't going to be such a busy day for you guys, I'd go up on the mod weekend and give you the $300, plus any beer you need for the day/weekend...maybe I can make it up on another weekend and we can do it? I will have all parts (gaskets, bolts, even oil and coolant) soon.

I'm getting headers in a few weeks too, I plan to do everything all at once.

99GApunk
02-17-2005, 05:03 PM
So when the coolent is in the engine, would it be only visible when you open the oil cap? It doesn't go deep enough to be visible on dipstick?

I am gonna be serious about this now. Low Coolent light came on today for like 2 seconds. I called 2 dealers around my area and they said $600 and $800 for LIM gasket replace. Where is a GM dealer that only charges $500? I also have WAI, but even though I am outta warranty, do you think dealer will be anal about it?

im getting it done for 400 to 500, but not by a dealer. by the dealer's cousin. the dealer would have charged at least 800

carsarecool
02-18-2005, 03:01 PM
so whats the number to contact GM about it? Ive heard of people getting GM to cover most of their repair costs through Customer Care, is there a certain 800 # for where you are or just 1 number or what?

carsarecool
02-21-2005, 06:19 PM
anybody know the #?

(bump)