Silicone Lubricant [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Silicone Lubricant

BadGT471
02-14-2005, 03:53 PM
Hi,

I was lubing up my door hinges today and when I sprayed the stuff, some splashed onto my black paint. I tried to wipe it off, but you can still see some of it on there. I don't think I'll fully be able to get it off until I wash the car, but it's raining out today... Anyways, I have the "non staining" stuff, and it says nothing about harming the paints finish. My question though, will it harm the paint at all? If anyone could let me know, that would be great!

Thanks,
Jeff

Ridenour
02-14-2005, 05:27 PM
Not sure if it will harm it - but your best bet is to get it off of there as soon as possible.

Wash if with water, and if that doesn't take it off, try using some goop-off, or lighter fluid. Pour some onto a paper towel and scrub it hard and it should come off.

Mike Jung
02-14-2005, 07:05 PM
Use some car wash soap & water, & gently scrub it off with your wash mitt.

Oh, I think I am a freak.
I use Mobil 1 5W30 motor oil in a little oil pump can on my door hinges lol
It works really well in the extreme cold of winter (where some of the other stuff, like grease freezes-up) :D

99GApunk
02-14-2005, 07:13 PM
rubbing alcohol, wd40, bug and tar remover, any of that should work, will strip the wax off most likely tho

mcgrady
02-14-2005, 07:33 PM
One of the many uses of silicone lubricant is for spraying the front bumper in the summer so bugs wash off easily. Did this for years with all my cars and no damage to the paint ever.