Loosening Exhaust Manifold Nuts [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Loosening Exhaust Manifold Nuts

puckyou
02-14-2005, 11:15 PM
Those of you who have replaced your exhaust manifolds with headers, how easily did the nuts come off? Did you break any studs? What did you use for a loosening agent, WD40 etc? Did anyone use heat on the nuts, torches? I will be putting on my TOG's in a few weeks and looking for some advice? I have a 99 so the bolts should not be rusted too bad. :rolleyes:

eric99gt
02-15-2005, 07:03 AM
on a 99 I would give it about a 90% chance that one will break no matter what you do. When I took mine off I broke a few. Heating would help but it's hard to get anything near them to heat it.

Kyle
02-15-2005, 08:17 AM
Its a nightmare you sure you want to do it yourself its not and easy install.

SpideyxMan
02-15-2005, 09:21 AM
I think the hardest part was getting the stock manifold off. I have a 2002 and I didn't have a problem with studs breaking. Since you have a 99 I would let it sit with some penetrating oil before you tried to loosen them. Be prepared to get bloody.

puckyou
02-15-2005, 01:32 PM
Not looking forward to it, but, think I can get it done. I plan on soaking the nuts a few weeks in advance with a loosening agent. This way I should be ahead of the game. Those of you who broke a stud, did they come out easy or did you have to use an EZ out.