ABS, Traction and Service Vehicle Soon [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : ABS, Traction and Service Vehicle Soon

canada_dude
02-15-2005, 08:34 PM
I realize a few of you have listed this problem already. I have a 2001 Grand Am GT (Canada) and had my ABS and traction lights come on in December along with the Service Vehicle Soon light. I noticed not long after that I began to get a slight hum from the front end. It sounded initially like tread noise, but over a month it became quite noiticable.

If I turned to the left or steered straight the noise was loud. When I turned to the right the noise disappeared. This is usually a sign of a wheel bearing going and not tread noise. I took the car in yestereday and the passenger side wheel bearing hub/with abs sensor was removed and replaced. The cost is something you have to check out. To my surprise the price of the hub ranged from 170.00 CAN at Canadian Tire to 422.00 CAN at GM. My question would be "Is There Really A Difference In the Quality of the Parts"? I managed to get a BCA bearing/abs hub for 300.00 CAN and the labour to install it was 2 hours by Chilton's book of coures (about 130.00 CAN).

The Good News
The noise is fully gone and the lights have all gone out. I hope this helps someone else who may be going through the same problem. It is very frustrating. It seems the ABS sensors pick up on the worn out bearing before you can even tell anything is wrong. So my advice would be to not only have a mechanic check for loose ABS wiring, but also check all four wheels for looseness in the bearings.

All the best from the "Far North".

canada_dude

Homewrecker
02-18-2005, 08:14 PM
I have the exact same problem now. But in my case when I steered to the left the noise goes away but gets louder when I drive straight or steer to the right.

I know for a fact it's a front left hub that's bad. I also have an ABS, SVS, and Trac Off light. First thing I did was measure the resistance of the sensors in the hubs. The front left is way out of spec at something like 1 megaOhm.

I have replaced 2 hubs on my GT so far - front right and rear left. GM wanted close to $400.00CDN for each hub. I picked mine up at Canadian Tire for $175.00CDN each. They are manufactured by SKF and are very well made. I've had them on the car for over 2 years now with no problems.

Looks like I'm doing a 3rd hub now :scream:

twisted
02-19-2005, 08:23 AM
[QUOTE=Homewrecker]
First thing I did was measure the resistance of the sensors in the hubs. The front left is way out of spec at something like 1 megaOhm.
QUOTE]

how did you test it because i have the same problem and need to find out what hub it is and dont want to spend the 65 bucks to have the dearlership tell me

john_ertw
02-19-2005, 10:05 AM
[QUOTE=Homewrecker]
First thing I did was measure the resistance of the sensors in the hubs. The front left is way out of spec at something like 1 megaOhm.
QUOTE]

how did you test it because i have the same problem and need to find out what hub it is and dont want to spend the 65 bucks to have the dearlership tell me

I've very interested in this as well. Do you simply remove the cable to the sensor and use an ohm meter between 2 pins (and if so which ones)? Also what is the proper spec for these sensors?

canada_dude
02-19-2005, 09:42 PM
I wondered how much better or worse the Canadian Tire bearing was. They kept saying it wasn't as good. I guess we'll tell over time. Two years is still pretty good. Maybe the better quality ones last 5 years, but then again hopefully your Canadian Tire ones will too :)

Good luck.

Larry

canada_dude
02-19-2005, 09:44 PM
"I have the exact same problem now. But in my case when I steered to the left the noise goes away but gets louder when I drive straight or steer to the right."

It sounds like its your front driver side bearing. It's doing the opposite thing mine did.

eaglesrealm
02-21-2005, 08:45 AM
Just unplug the sensors at the hubs and check the resistance across the two pins that lead out to the hub assy. You will probably see three values that are pretty close and one that is out there a bit. That will be your suspect hub assy.

tomh
02-23-2005, 06:02 AM
well i just replaced my pass front hub and a bunch of other stuff on that wheel at the dealer like a year ago... and now it makes the noise.. and all 3 lights come on again.. :( and the dealer willnt do crap about it cept sell me a new 1

charbygt
04-09-2006, 08:12 AM
I had both replaced under warrenty and just finished replacing right one again as lights were coming on. I have 63000km and went through 2 GM quality parts on the same wheel. I have an after market now with a 1 yr. warrenty for $250CDN installed. One week later, I am getting a knocking noise from left side as I brake to a stop. I had new brakes 4 months ago and had them checked, lubed and still noisy. I do get a slight sqreech when turning but the abs lights are not on. I had RSA's replaced under warrenty, so it is not a tire noise.
Has anyone had the same problem? Is it a early warning of another bearing?