CV Boot repair? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : CV Boot repair?

Rogue9
02-17-2005, 03:28 AM
So It appears mine has somehow given way and sprayed the lube all over the inside of my rim. (fun stuff to clean out btw... simple green didn't cut it.. had to use wheel cleaner)

Is it possible (and easily done) to replace the boot and regrease?
what kind of grease goes inside?
anything else I need to know?

thanks.

J.

AleroME
02-17-2005, 12:45 PM
if its not been open into the air long then you can put a new boot on it. Otherwise i'd recommend a new axle, because the dirt contimenation (sp) will get to the joints and make them goto crap if u just change out the boot.

Rogue9
02-17-2005, 06:35 PM
see, problem is I don't know how long... I just noticed goopy crap on the inside of the rim...
so it can't be longer than a month tops...
also the tear isn't big, I actually can't even see a hole... just a spot where the lube is spewing out slowly..
I hoping I can just relube it and it hasn't rained here much in the last couple weeks. so I'll just hope I'm lucky.

Love my GT
02-17-2005, 08:42 PM
Not sure on the GA, but usually when you buy a new CV boot it will come with the clamps and grease to redo the boot. The hardest part is pulling the axle out and getting it apart to do the job. If you don't plan on keeping your car much longer they do make a split boot that all you have to do is cut the old one off and wrap this one around and use glue to seal the seam shut. From what I have heard this is only a temporary fix as it does not hold for very long.

Chevylover54
02-21-2005, 10:08 PM
Just get a rebuilt half-shaft. I replaced mind and it wasn't hard at all.