Steering Clicking | Fuse Box [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Steering Clicking | Fuse Box

EvilCacti
02-17-2005, 11:43 PM
My car has (for the last 10K or so) been making a clicking noise when I turn the wheel to the left and then back to center. Like something in the wrack is thunking. I have no idea what it is. My steering hasn't been affected, and the noise isn't getting louder. Ideas?

Also...the car didnt' come with a manual, and I can't find the haynes book. Where is the bloody fuse box? I looked under the dash where I would assume it would be, but can't find the thing anywhere. Pictures would be helpful. I'm Polish and sometimes slow on the uptake. :P

JermsGAGT03
02-17-2005, 11:55 PM
As far as the fuse box's there on the sides of ur dashboard when u open the door. You should have one on both sides. As for the clicking noise I just recently had to have a new steering gear box installed for that very same problem. Try that.

EvilCacti
02-18-2005, 09:55 AM
How much would a new steering box cost me, roughly? Can I go with a steeper ratioed box? I have an '86 Firebird, and when I replaced its steering box, I replaced it with a tighter ratioed one and it worked out acceptably.

Also... has anyone done a 3.4/3.8/etc swap into a 3.1 car? I've heard about people doing a 3.8 S/C swap, but it being a serious pain in the ass. I'm wondering if, since it came in a lot of grand ams, if I can just stuff a 3.4 into this car when the 3.1 inevitably blows up? I've already got pretty hellacious lifter tick, and the valves are sticking. If it wouldn't cost me too much to get a different wiring harness, etc, the extra grunt of a 3.4 would be neat.

Transmissions... Is there a more heavy duty transmission that could bolt into our cars? Whatever this thing is in mine has and is wussy. Much gearing slippage. If I go WOT at around 35 MPH...it'll just bounce off the rev limiter, completely slips. No grab at all. The cost of rebuilding one of these electronic transmissions isn't cheap like it would be for a turbohydramatic...