Engine Swaps [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Engine Swaps

EvilCacti
02-18-2005, 10:03 AM
I know this is an extremely common, extensively covered thread but I was looking for some "new blood" on the issue.

I have a '97 Grand Am SE 3.1 Liter. The 3.1 is nearing a point where it needs to be rebuilt or replaced (and for the money, I'd rather slap a used motor into it, as 3.1's, etc are cheap).

I'm wondering if anyone's completed a 3.8 swap without exceeding difficulty. My mechanical skills are negligible, and I don't have 500 some man hours to fiddle with fusing a wiring harness together. I typically work on older carburated cars where, as long as the motor fits, it'll work. If I could get a 3.8 in this car, I'd be happy.

If the 3.8 isn't an option...is there a painless 3.4 swap? I was told that I could basically drop a 3.4 in, that everything including the new wiring harness would match up, and it would be as easy and painless of an install as putting a 3.1 in. If this is true, that would be the best option I would think. You guys are the professions of this whole performance grand am world---give me your feedback. I'd like to milk as much horsepower out of my daily driver as is reasonable.

Matt95GT
02-18-2005, 12:03 PM
My mechanical skills are negligible, and I don't have 500 some man hours to fiddle with fusing a wiring harness together.

For this reason, the 3.8 isn't a good choice for you. There is 1 pre-99 GA with a S/C 3.8 in it (93 GT sedan actually). It was like a 6 month project, IIRC.

3.4 = easy swap.
http://www.3400swap.com/

EvilCacti
02-19-2005, 12:36 AM
Can you just give me a quick rundown of parts I'll need and rough costs? Knee deep in school crap right now, just kind of wondering (roughly) if its going to be worth the crap, or to just sell the damn thing and get something else.

95-GT
02-19-2005, 02:49 AM
Umm, cost of motor plus like $100 tops. Its easy as cake.

http://www.95-gt.com/images/mycar/other/engine1.jpg

;);)

LightningHSR
02-20-2005, 10:50 AM
would this swap be possible if you had the twin cam?

95-GT
02-20-2005, 11:10 AM
Should be. From what I have seen, they use the same mounts. You would need the wiring harness and computer from a 94-98 3100 grand am. I would go for the 96-98 wiring and computer personally, so then you can actually tune it for mods because of the ODB-2.

LightningHSR
02-20-2005, 11:16 AM
any idea how much the harness and ECU would run me?I'm going to be doing all the work myself,so how much $$$ would you anticipate me spending overall?

LightningHSR
02-20-2005, 11:29 AM
and would all my guages still work properly???(temp,tach?) MY speedo should work fine since it works off of my wheel speed sensors,but don't know if the new ECU would effect that or my other guages? Possible dash swap anyone? how hard would that be to do? is it even possible, cuz I prefer the newer style dash better......HHHHHMMMMMMM

Matt95GT
02-20-2005, 11:00 PM
^ The 6 bangers and 4 bangers use different tach signals, and consequently different gauge clusters. All other gauges will function normally.