Engine does not rotate when attempting to start [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Engine does not rotate when attempting to start

Jordan#1
02-20-2005, 10:46 AM
Alero with 2.4Litre engine:
Engine will not rotate when attempting to start. No door locks work or any lights, etc. The car is dead as dead gets. I got a new Champion battery 3 weeks ago and the car was running great untill last night. Doutfull its the battery Turned it off to fill up my tires, and then it wouldn't start.
Get this; a very weird fast clicking noise is heard under the glove box when the key is not turned to the ACC or ON position.

First thought was the Antitheft feature because I did get a new ignition a couple months ago because my car got broken into so maybe it's a wire or something that isn't proper. I left the key in the car in the ON position for about 15-20min and then all the lights inside came on, including head lights, began to turn the key to Start position and out go all the lights and no sound of motor turning over.

Any ideas? Wish I had an OBDII-code reader.

99GApunk
02-20-2005, 11:35 AM
no lights or anything are working? and your battery is new?

alternator is my guess

Jordan#1
02-20-2005, 12:06 PM
thats also my first guess now

Matt95GT
02-21-2005, 08:46 AM
Get this; a very weird fast clicking noise is heard under the glove box when the key is not turned to the ACC or ON position.

That's the sound of a relay switch closing, then opening when there isn't enough power to run what is turning on. Your battery is dead. Most likely the alternator was not charging the battery adequately, so the new one died too. Also clean your battery terminals... corrosion = electrical gremlins.

carsarecool
02-21-2005, 06:10 PM
Yo thats exactly what happened to me, except my battery terminal wasnt getting a good connection even though i screwed it in al the way, i had shut my hood and something hit the post by accident- got a new battery still nothin.
thread should be here unless i cant post links: http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46715&

I thought i fried the PCM, got it towed, turns out it just corroded on the inside and the plate part wasnt getting a good connection. The Tow, diagnostic, cleaning and tax was $186 at a dealer. Kinda sucked but better than 3 or 400 bucks for a PCM

The guy told me thats what low voltage does, the PCM and everything was fine but it scared the sh!t outta me cause everything was clicking and spazzing out and it wouldnt crank, but the inside light would come on and the headlights would be on really dim, same thing that its doing to your car

Chevylover54
02-21-2005, 08:47 PM
MY car has done this a couple of times. You turn the key and nothing. No lights or anything. It's as if your battery has been disconnected. Eventually you will get lucky and turn the key and everything is ok. Last time it did it to me was 6 months ago or so. Some times it will happen for a week then it will go months without doing it again. I haven't been able to track down the problem yet.

99GApunk
02-21-2005, 09:04 PM
that sounds like what ive heard called a dead spot in the... starter? i forget lol i sound stupid but its late and im having brain farts

Jordan#1
02-21-2005, 10:27 PM
all you guys are a great help cause it turns out the darn battery connection was not full. Dealership had to tighten the battery cables cause they were to loose. So all that for something so simple. I learned my lesson to check the battery cable connection first real good. The guy at the gas station I was stuck at asked me if I checked the battery connection and I just laughed at him since I maintain my car well and I'm under the hood all the time, I didn't even think the battery connection would be the problem. Well its not so funny now.
So all fixed and the car is running strong again.

Thanks again.

carsarecool
02-21-2005, 10:36 PM
It makes you feel pretty silly right? haha...i thought he'd say...yeah new PCM/BCM, he walks up and goes, well i cleaned and tightened your battery posts- runs good as new. DId you have to get it towed or was it stuck at a gas station the whole time?

and i have the 2.4 too

Jordan#1
02-23-2005, 12:21 PM
Got the car towed after waiting for 2 1/2 hours. Waste of a Saturday night.

intence
02-25-2005, 11:57 AM
At least it's fixed. I had a similar problem where the battery terminal was super-corroded. I didn't think it was the battery since I couldn't boost the car, and everything would act all strange when I tried starting it. A new battery took care of it though.

If you can, try and get the Alternator tested to make sure it's putting out the correct voltage.