Testing a relay/ high beam problems [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Testing a relay/ high beam problems

stanjk3
02-20-2005, 09:18 PM
What should the resistance readings be for a headlight or DRL relay?? Yes I did a search but didn't find anything specific.
I was testing the DRL relay, 85-86 reads ~88ohms, 30-87a reads 0, 30-87 is open.
http://www.the12volt.com/relays/relays.asp

This is related to my other post here - http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47842

From what I can tell, after installing Silverstars my high beams essentially don't work, but the light in the dash is stuck on. My driving lights won't turn on. When I try to turn on my high beams the light gradually moves up, but it's a lot dimmer. I can still drive at night though, just w/o high beams or driving lights. Had an SVS light but now it's off. My code reader couldn't read or clear the SVS code.

iceman
02-20-2005, 10:01 PM
When not powered, not sure what resistance between 85-86 should be (thats the coil) but 30-87a should be 0. When the coil is powered, 30-87a should be open and 30-87 should be 0.

stanjk3
02-20-2005, 10:23 PM
That's what I figured. What's a good way to test if the relay is actually switching?? There's no way you could hear that relay switch over the engine.

Also, how difficult is it to change the high beam switch on the steering column?? I doubt it would just wear out, though I don't think the switch is my problem.

iceman
02-20-2005, 10:30 PM
For 1st question, apply + to 86 and - to 85 to power the coil, then the readings I said above when the coil is energized should show... for #2, don't know :)

stanjk3
02-22-2005, 09:25 PM
Thanks Seth. Will have to test some of the other ones this weekend.
SVS light is back on. :(

iceman
02-22-2005, 09:51 PM
I'm in Philly at night this wed-fri, if you want me to pull that SVS let me know.

stanjk3
02-26-2005, 03:53 PM
After a little more testing, the SVS light doesn't come on until - I have the high beams "switched on" for a couple seconds or more. At which point I see my headlights dim and gradually move up and try to come on. I doubt it's the bulbs, if they were bad wouldn't they "turn off" if the high beam filament were bad?

If I just turn on my low beams, be it manually or if it's ALC, I don't get a SVS light. But my high beam light stays on as long as my lights are on.

What controls the high beams? I don't see any fuses or relays specifially related to it. Tried pulling the fuse for DRLs and fogs but still no luck.

stanjk3
02-27-2005, 03:03 PM
Turns out it was the left bulb, worked fine after I took it out. Back to Pep Boys I go.

stanjk3
02-28-2005, 07:26 PM
Now I know why the bulbs didn't work right, turns out they were mispackaged. They are 9004's, which are very similar to 9007's. Worse yet they weren't even Silverstars!!!! Was wondering why the glass wasn't blue. Problem is they didn't believe me when I tried to exchange them. I have to go back when the store manager is there. At least I can still get the $5 MIR if they won't exchange them.

:rage: