Water In Trunk [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Water In Trunk

GrandAMRamAir02
02-21-2005, 04:26 PM
When I bought my GA it smelled so musty and I traced the problem to the trunk, the spare tire compartmen was filled with orange water. So I shop vacced the orange water out and cleaned it out with CLR. It ruiened my spare tire and jack as well as the trunk carpet. I opened my trunk up today and there is water in there, this time it is clean clear water, but none the less...its water. There is also water on the little pockets in the trunk where the bumper bolts to the quarter. I was wondering if anyone has ever had this problem before, or any solutions. My car never gets driven so a leak underneath is out of the question. Thank god i didnt instally my new trunk carpet!

Jordan#1
02-21-2005, 04:50 PM
I'd go all out and put the seats down and have the spare out and spare tire cover out so that you can see a bunch of the steel surface. Get someone to drive while you lay down back there with a flashlight and hopefully it will be raining or whatever water source you can get and just watch for the water to come in. Thats got to be the for sure way to tell. Although you could just lay newspapers around in different areas as you drive around and see what path the water is taking to get inside the trunk.

Good luck

GTguy
02-21-2005, 05:23 PM
maybe your drain holes are plugged

tenspeed
02-21-2005, 05:29 PM
There are several threads about water leaking into the cars. Do a search.

lightningGA
02-21-2005, 05:58 PM
or instead of driving around in the rain in your trunk woth a flashlight...put some paper back there and wash the car. Then check it out.

Ridenour
02-21-2005, 06:03 PM
Could very well be a leaking trunk lid. Check all the weatherstripping / seals.

GrandAMRamAir02
02-21-2005, 06:53 PM
Thank you so much for the solutions. There is nothing in my trunk, no rear seats, or carpet or anything, its completly down to the steel. I really like the newspaper idea, Im gonna try that tommorrow. I think it might be getting in from the antenna...possibly? There is no rust anywhere in the trunk which is really good. I had this problem with my 94 GA, water came in on the passenger side floor, it might be a problem with Grand AM Weather stripping. I think Im just gonna replace the seal on the trunk. I would try the driving one, but my car is not driveable currently, its just sitting in my driveway now. Again, thank you for the various suggestions.

Braves299
02-21-2005, 07:00 PM
check the rubber plunges underneath each of the tailights. Mine werent shut all the way because i did a ****ty job putting strobes in, and thats how my spare tire compartment got filled. it could also very well just be the stripping that needs to be replaced.