Low Coolant Light Stays On [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Low Coolant Light Stays On

bigdaddy_69
02-21-2005, 06:56 PM
I had my car at the dealer last week for a rubbing noise...when they had it on the hoist they noticed the LIM gasket had a small leak and recommended changing it....@ $725 + tax.

Since then I've been looking for a cheaper mechanic to fix it.

When I left work today, the Low Coolant light came on and I stopped at the local Ukrainian Tire for a top up.....the reservoir was almost bone dry. I've now topped it all up with no visible witness marks from leaks...but the light won't go off????

I'm going to get the LIM fixed within the next couple of days as I don't want to F***** the engine. There's no white smoke to indicate that it's being burned off and I'm kind of confused.

Anybody know if the cooolant sensor is in the tank or the rad?

Thoughts??

99GApunk
02-21-2005, 09:05 PM
my thought is get the LIM problem fixed asap. your coolent is more than likely mixing with youre oil which is why its nowhere to be found

Clyde
02-22-2005, 06:40 AM
$725 +tax is a really good price. Thats close to the quote i was given by my mechanic who i have been dealing with for a LONG time.

the sensor is in the tank somewhere. I have the same problem at times. My water pump is leaking so im always adding more coolant. as long as you can visibly see that there is coolant in te tank your good.

and yes it is a good idea to get that gasket changed NOW if it is leaking because it will cost ya about 1500 if it does explode and cause more troubles.

bigdaddy_69
02-22-2005, 05:34 PM
Sensor light went off on the way to work this am....must have had to work it's way through.

FYI - Got another quote this morning from a non-dealer mechanic who's quite reputable with a number of friends. The LIM gasket complete for $450.....I'm sure the $300 will feel much better in my pocket. Anyway, it's getting done tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the tips.

P.S. Anybody know if the engine mount on the belt side needs to be unfastened? Might be a good opp to get the serp belt changed at the same time!