Does this sound like the catalytic converter? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound like the catalytic converter?

Chevylover54
02-21-2005, 07:26 PM
For a while my car has been losing power. But it has been such a slow proccess I haven't really noticed. That is until last week. My car is way down on power. The plugs are fairly new and I just changed the wires Friday after the power dropped. Today I changed the fuel filter. No luck. Here are the symptoms:

When I step on the gas for normal accelration from a stop sign, the car doesn't go like it should. The when I get to almost 3000 RPM's it really bogs down. If I keep the pedal at the same spot it will climb to 3300 RPM's and the power will come back. Also if I'm doing 60 or so and put my foot to the floor to pass, the car will shift to passing gear, jump up to 4000 RPM or so and just sit there. It won't accelerate. It's not a slipping tranny because the RPM's and speed go up together.

I have a 01 GT1 with 95,000 miles. I've seen posts on here with issues of the catalytic convertor and the 3000 RPM range. What do you guys think?

SC/TGrandAm
02-21-2005, 07:43 PM
A bad or clogged cat, will decrease your performance. I had a bad cat and it rattled really bad upon acceleration thats how I knew it was bad.

AznGA
02-21-2005, 09:05 PM
Kyle, your cat went bad? What did you replace with?
Shortly after I got my car brand new, I have been hearing rattle inside the cat during accleration. Cats should last a lot longer than that though.