Car Won't Start....Help ! ! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Car Won't Start....Help ! !

vin1978
02-22-2005, 09:54 AM
First off sorry to the Mod's for the double post in the "All Go" section.

My wife has a 2001 GAGT with 63k miles on it. Today she went out to start the car and the starter would turn the engine over, but it would not start. I checked the battery connection and everything seems ok to me and the starter seems as though it has enough power to get things going, but no luck. Anyone have any ideas??? I was thinking fuel pump???

UPDATE: I got in the car and turn the key to on. I hear a low hum from the back of the car. I am assuming that is the fuel pump, but I am not sure. I also notice that the SECURITY light flashes while I have the key in the on position. Does this shed some light on the topic? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Kdawg207
02-22-2005, 10:33 AM
fuel pump or IGN fuse...my guess

vin1978
02-22-2005, 10:47 AM
Is it normal for the fuel pump to work fine one day and then die the next? Also, what is the best way to check both the fuel pump and the IGN fuse? Thank you again for your help.

Kdawg207
02-22-2005, 10:55 AM
the fuse...just pull it and check to see if it blew on ya...happened to me once

and anything is normal with a GM :rolleyes:

vin1978
02-22-2005, 11:44 AM
I was thinking more of how to test the fuel pump to see if it is working? I appreciate the help.

Chevylover54
02-22-2005, 04:42 PM
I'm not an expert but the way I would test the fuel pump is to take the pressure out of the rail and then turn the ignition on for a min or so. Turn of the ignition. Then check to see if the rail is pressurized again. If it is pressurized I would say your pump is workign. To see where to let the pressure out, look at this thread: http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6529

It will tell you how the release the pressure and a pic of where to do it.

Thanks to Dr. Kyle for the pic.

Mike Jung
02-22-2005, 06:25 PM
UPDATE: I got in the car and turn the key to on. I hear a low hum from the back of the car. I am assuming that is the fuel pump, but I am not sure. I also notice that the SECURITY light flashes while I have the key in the on position. Does this shed some light on the topic?...
If the SECURITY light is flashing when the key is in the ON position:
The Passlock II anti-theft system has triggered & is engaged.

Pull the Parking Brake (so no headlights/DRL's turn on) & turn everything off: to save battery power.

Put the key in the ignition & turn it to ON.
Leave the key in the ON position until the SECURITY light stops flashing (can be 10-minutes or more, depending on how many times you tried to start the car after the Passlock II system engaged).
When the SECUIRTY light stops flashing, now try to start the car.

The Passlock II anti-theft system kills the fuel system when engaged.

smiley68
02-23-2005, 06:14 PM
If the SECURITY light is flashing when the key is in the ON position:
The Passlock II anti-theft system has triggered & is engaged.

Pull the Parking Brake (so no headlights/DRL's turn on) & turn everything off: to save battery power.

Put the key in the ignition & turn it to ON.
Leave the key in the ON position until the SECURITY light stops flashing (can be 10-minutes or more, depending on how many times you tried to start the car after the Passlock II system engaged).
When the SECUIRTY light stops flashing, now try to start the car.

The Passlock II anti-theft system kills the fuel system when engaged.

My Car has done this about 5 times the past 2 weeks is there anyway to turn this feature off. How, Why does it activate?

vin1978
02-23-2005, 08:15 PM
I just wanted to thank you all for your help. Deactivating the Pass Lock system worked great. I don't understand why that happend, but at least I know how to fix it now.

Now I think we have a problem with the coolant leaking.... Anyone interested in an 2001 GAGT. lol

Laughing about this car keep me from crying.

smiley68
02-23-2005, 11:21 PM
how do you deactivate the pass lock sensor i really need to know

tenstrum
12-09-2005, 08:32 AM
My security light comes on while I'm driving sometimes and it has done the won't start for 10 minutes flashing security light thingy.
How do I deactivate Passlock?

freakydeaky
12-09-2005, 08:38 AM
My security light comes on while I'm driving sometimes and it has done the won't start for 10 minutes flashing security light thingy.
How do I deactivate Passlock?

this thread will help.... disable passlock (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48307&highlight=disable+passlock)

Panacea
12-09-2005, 12:22 PM
My Car has done this about 5 times the past 2 weeks is there anyway to turn this feature off. How, Why does it activate?

No, either your key is worn down too much, or your ignition cylinder is going bad.

tenstrum
12-09-2005, 01:50 PM
The ignition cylinder on my car has been replaced twice.
Tired of that crap and it's expensive to fix. It's out of warranty anyway. That's why I personally want to disable Passlock.

skydive120
12-02-2009, 06:10 PM
Thanks for all the info on the security light flashing, it may have saved my ass.
Been having the same problem for a few years and it only seems to happen when I really need the car to run, knowing how to bypass it helps alot!

Laters

IanGT99
12-03-2009, 06:35 PM
This has been covered MANY times on this forum. Do a SEARCH. The Passlock system is total crap. The idea of it is good, but GM failed to make it work without fail. Many factors lead to the triggering of Passlock. Replacing the ignition cylinder does nothing and getting a new key is foolish. To disable the Passlock, you have to cut and splice in a resistor between the yellow and black wires behind the ignition cylinder. I believe a 2.2 ohm resistor is the one of choice, but don't quote me on that. I personally did the jimmy-rig way of turning the car on and, while it was running, simply snip the yellow wire. The Security light will forever be on, but a piece of black tape over it fixes that problem. I could have easily done the resistor to make the light stay off, but I was lazy about it. Four years later... I've never had a problem with the car starting.

skydive120
12-03-2009, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the info-- sounds like rigging it to me thought---- it works yea, but its still broken.

skydive120
12-04-2009, 07:35 AM
So where is this yellow wire?
It can be cut and the car will still start?

IanGT99
12-04-2009, 10:16 AM
^^^ I would highly recommend doing the bypass instead. If you can solder and use electrical tape, it takes 20 min.

Passlock is broken from the factory. It sucks. Something is bound to go wrong and dealerships make a pile of money off of replacing ignition parts when bypassing the system altogether is the only true way to know your car will start every time. The three wires for the ignition are directly behind the ignition lock cylinder. If you take off the radio bezel, you can see them. If you attempt my jimmy-rig method, please note that THE CAR HAS TO BE RUNNING WHILE YOU CUT THE YELLOW WIRE. Turn the car on, snip the yellow wire, put electrical tape on both ends of it, turn the car off, and start it again. Let me reiterate that I don't condone doing the lazy method, but it does work.

2000 GT Coupe
12-04-2009, 10:19 AM
Those wires are also at the BCM and much easier to work with at that location.

skydive120
12-05-2009, 06:56 PM
I know I was knocking the method earlier, but after thinking about it did the yellow wire cut and all is good. It was actually easier than that, had remote bypass unit that I installed years ago and did the cut wire thing, all I had to do is unplug it when the engine was running--- TO EASY
At this time, its still starthing great, and going to get some black tape on the light in the morning.
Great idea, and saved me 300+ plus to fix something that will happen again anyway.
As a bonus, the remote start still works as advertised.

Thanks guys!

IanGT99
12-07-2009, 10:20 AM
Like I said, it may not be pretty, but it works... and works well. Happy to help, my friend.