2 Brake problems, help! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 2 Brake problems, help!

cacicgt7
02-22-2005, 03:55 PM
So i've run into 2 brake problems on my 99 gt. First off, last week i changed my rear pads no problem. Then looked at the front pads to see how they were doing. I noticed that one side of the pad was wearing a little faster than the other so i flopped the pads around and was good to go i thought. Here's the 2 problems:

1) I have a seroius spongey feel on my pedal and took it to a mechanic i know and had them bleed the brake lines. They looked at it and said i may have a bad master cylinder.....My pedal feel is pretty hard, but when i press down my car doesn't slow down at the rate it should at all. I'm not sure if that makes sense that the pedal is firm but the car doesn't stop well.....

2) 2nd problem i noticed is on my front right rotor. It seems that the entire pads is not touching the rotor somehow??? I noticed today that the outer part of the rotor is clean like it should be when the pads hit it, but the inner part for about an inch is completely rusted from the rain??? After driving a doing a couple of hard stops the rust is still on the inner part of the rotor, so i'm not sure what's going on. Is that pad off or what?

Any suggestions? How hard is it to replace a master cylinder anyway? Sorry for the long post, thanks guys

John

MetaGTP1
02-22-2005, 04:10 PM
So i've run into 2 brake problems on my 99 gt. First off, last week i changed my rear pads no problem. Then looked at the front pads to see how they were doing. I noticed that one side of the pad was wearing a little faster than the other so i flopped the pads around and was good to go i thought. Here's the 2 problems:

1) I have a seroius spongey feel on my pedal and took it to a mechanic i know and had them bleed the brake lines. They looked at it and said i may have a bad master cylinder.....My pedal feel is pretty hard, but when i press down my car doesn't slow down at the rate it should at all. I'm not sure if that makes sense that the pedal is firm but the car doesn't stop well.....

2) 2nd problem i noticed is on my front right rotor. It seems that the entire pads is not touching the rotor somehow??? I noticed today that the outer part of the rotor is clean like it should be when the pads hit it, but the inner part for about an inch is completely rusted from the rain??? After driving a doing a couple of hard stops the rust is still on the inner part of the rotor, so i'm not sure what's going on. Is that pad off or what?

Any suggestions? How hard is it to replace a master cylinder anyway? Sorry for the long post, thanks guys

JohnFirst, you should replace the front pads with new ones. I was told by my tech at the dealership, that the inner pads wear faster than the outer pads. This is a characteristic of the brake units. Have the front brakes done and then take it from there. :)

cacicgt7
02-22-2005, 07:41 PM
do you think the rotors are still alright? I mean they are only 10K miles in....

MetaGTP1
02-22-2005, 07:50 PM
do you think the rotors are still alright? I mean they are only 10K miles in....Do you feel any pulsations when braking? Do you feel or see grooves in the rotors? If the answer is no to both questions, your rotors should be ok. :)

cacicgt7
02-22-2005, 09:06 PM
can you flip flop the pads, so that the more worn side is on the other side, or do pads go one way???

99GApunk
02-22-2005, 09:46 PM
you shouldnt flip the pads if they are wearing unevenly, that will cause uneven contact on the rotor you switched them too, if anything they would be better off where they were, but if they were wearing unevenly it could be a slightly warped rotor which will get worse and you will be able to tell when it feels like theres an earthquake coinciding with every time you brake. for now if you dont want to replace the rotors or cant notice any grooves or uneveness, just get some new pads and see how that goes