Stalling at start up [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Stalling at start up

RedFire99GT
02-22-2005, 04:19 PM
I did a search earlier and found a thread in regards to this issue. However, there wasnt any solutions indicated as to what fix could be done.

This is the scenario: 99 GT with 94k. I bought it with ~56k. I dont know if it had a tune up when I got it so I'm assuming everything is stock. I only have a k&n drop in filter which really is nothing more than stock. I recently started to experiencing moderate coolant leaking from the water pump/reservoir and a LIM issue. Today I experienced the car stalling out right after I start it. I tried it several times trying to figure it out and it will flat out stall. I started it again, gave it some gas and it would actually rev up normal. As soon as I let off the throttle, it would idle rough and then die.

I noticed that the pvc valve (on the front valve cover close to the intake) had the 90 degree rubber cracked to the top of the angle. The fuel pump does sound off when I put the key to "on" I do have less than a 1/4 tank of fuel in it, but I never had a problem w/ it.

Could anybody give me any suggestions? Does anybody have a fix to this?

Your help is greatly needed. And I did try to look it up first, but I couldnt get any answers.

Armando

Clyde
02-22-2005, 04:57 PM
99 GT here as well with the same problem ... seems to come and go kinda thing.

Ive searched and read pretty much every post about this issue and you are correct when you say no one has a fix to the problem.

when it does act up on me i do exactly as you say "give it some gas on start up" and the I hold it slightly for about 5 - 10 seconds and that seems to work. My biggest fear is that im gonna over work my starter and kill it off sooner than it should.

not what ya wanted to hear i bet but i hope it helps a bit

RedFire99GT
02-25-2005, 03:56 PM
I wanted to bring out this observation that I have noticed recently after I started this post. It seems that when the car is cold, it will start and idle just fine. Rpm's dont fluctuate or anything. However, once the temp is around 200 degrees, and I get to a street light or when I park the car, the car will stall or the rpm's will fluctuate heavily until it dies.

Like I said previously, I had coolant leaking from the right side area of the motor and noticed the LIM had moisture. I would park the car and see the water drip heavily from the right side of the motor to the ground. Now it doesnt leak, and there is pressure in the water system. I took off the water reservoir cap off and the open hose next to the radiator cap started to release water heavily!

So all in all is it possible that the car is stalling out due to the water system? Just something to think about.

Thanks for your input!

Armando

RedFire99GT
02-25-2005, 04:02 PM
*edit* When I said the leak was from the right side of the motor, I meant its from the right side area. Not the motor itself. I believe the water pump gasket is shot. It could be leaking from there. However there is nothing leaking out and the water in the reservoir is still full.

GrandyGT
03-14-2005, 02:02 PM
98 Grand AM GT here with kind of the same problem... my car will stall on start up if i let it run idle for a couple seconds... but as fas as i can see i am not leaking any fluids. i got it looked at a couple days ago by my mechanic and he said it was the air intake sensor (or something like that). im gonna get it fixed next week so if it stops doing it i will let ya'all know.

Clyde
03-14-2005, 05:34 PM
*edit* When I said the leak was from the right side of the motor, I meant its from the right side area. Not the motor itself. I believe the water pump gasket is shot. It could be leaking from there. However there is nothing leaking out and the water in the reservoir is still full.

Im not sure on how your describing your motor ... you say front right but that makes no sence if your thinking its a water pump issue

is the leak on the drivers side or passenger side? Cause your water pump is on the passenger side of the car along with the belt that runs everything.

john_ertw
03-14-2005, 05:49 PM
If you have the intake manifold leak I recommend you have that repaired ASAP, particularily if the coolant is leaking into the oil. Otherwise it's only a matter of time before you ruin your engine bearings meaning a very expensive repair.

If you have never had a tuneup done before I suggest changing the spark plugs. My gf's parents have a 96 Grand Am and had problems with starting and a rough idle several months ago. They brought it to a shop who changed the fuel pump for them for about $700CDN. It didn't help. When they told me about this I suggested changing the plugs. They did the plugs and have not had starting problems since and the idle is much better. The old plugs were coated with carbon (all black). They had about 110,000km (around 65,000miles). Although GM says go 100,000miles for the plugs, I suggest checking them at least every 50,000miles.

Good luck. Let us know what happens.