In Winter: Do you put dead weight in your trunk [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : In Winter: Do you put dead weight in your trunk

Mike Jung
02-22-2005, 06:08 PM
In the winter time:

Does anyone put dead weight in their trunk ?

How much weight do you put in the trunk ?

Noting: That the my owner's manual states NOT to carry more than 60kg [132lbs] in the trunk.

Does it help ?

After the last few heavy snow falls:
My dad sugguested I put some dead weight in the trunk (towards the rear seats, front part of the trunk/over the rear tires), to get more traction for the rear end/tires.
(I originally thought the Blizzak tires with heavy steel wheels was enough for the rear.)

Even though we have front-wheel drive cars.
He says it helps him, so the rear end does not slide out as much when turning around corners.

The first thing I found in the basement that was easy to use, I put in my trunk...
I put 3-bags of r-i-c-e that are 8kg [17.6lbs] each = 24kg [52.9lbs] over the rear tires.
+ whatever the weight of the other junk in my trunk, like: a 4L jug of windsheld fluid & a booster battery pack, etc...

You can say I put r-i-c-e literally in my car lol

onesexyga
02-22-2005, 06:43 PM
I never have a problem with my rear end sliding out. well, that excludes when i want it to.

mystikalchic28
02-22-2005, 06:46 PM
hey i am really sorry, but this is my first time on this site.. but how the heck do i post a forum or a question? i'm soo confused!! sorry

Mike Jung
02-22-2005, 06:59 PM
hey i am really sorry, but this is my first time on this site.. but how the heck do i post a forum or a question? i'm soo confused!! sorry

Go to the forum you want & select the http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/images/buttons/newthread.gif button at the top of the page.

*welcome* to the site.

sc02grandam
02-22-2005, 07:11 PM
dead weight in the back is useless on a fwd vehicle... and besides how often does your rear end slide out anyways?

scotiez
02-22-2005, 07:19 PM
Putting weight on the back of a car with front wheel drive is not needed. If you put too much weight in the back it will take traction away from your front tires, and you don't want that especially if its really icy and slippery out.

bigbenSC
02-22-2005, 07:41 PM
Adding weight to a FWD car with traction control is not necessary at all. Your back end might not slide around a lot at first, but if it does break free then you are stuck with more weight and momentum which will make it dificult to regain control. Remember, adding weight is harder to get started and to stop. Even on RWD cars and pickup trucks, you should only add a small amount of weight, probably less than 200 pounds. The guys you see with beds full of wood and concrete bags are idiots and are only adding to the likelyhood that they will go out of control in snow and ice.

DrFabulous
02-22-2005, 07:42 PM
I wouldn't do it. Makes the car wayyy to fishy, wants to slide everywhere. You'll find your ass end whipping around a lot.

mr03SCT
02-22-2005, 08:44 PM
so what about subs, amps and boxes in a trunk...that is dead weight? My subs enclosure + subs and amps weigh over 130lbs and my car is fine with handling.

carsarecool
02-22-2005, 10:08 PM
make sure the tires with better tread are on the back, that will help the back sliding out

atc3434
02-22-2005, 10:50 PM
The GA's got a twitcher rearend than other FWD car's I've owned, but its not extreme enough to think about adding weight, IMO. I like being able to step the rear out a little on occasion. Besides, its FWD, you feel the back starting to get away, put your foot in it a little more and point it where you want it. Nothing to it.

2Dambad
02-23-2005, 04:45 AM
I found that dead weight doesnt work as well as live weight, so each day when the roads are bad, I find a couple moonbats and toss them back there :ec: lol

Ridenour
02-23-2005, 05:25 AM
I have nothing in my trunk except for a can of fix-flat. No spare, no jack, no sound deadening, no nothing.

And my end does slide out pretty easy, but I don't mind. :) - It's not like it just does it by itself.

tomh
02-23-2005, 05:54 AM
i cant count the number of times my rear end in my GA went sliding around.. its fun.. all cept for that one time.. when it wacked my front end into a curb and broke everything that holds the front passanger wheel on.. :(

MegaHyp
02-23-2005, 07:25 AM
My rearend used to slide out REALLY BAD last winter. I had some 3 season Michelins on there and thats what caused it. I would just turn down a road and my back would slide out like it was a 600hp Vette, anyone of my buddies who rode with me couldn't believe a FWD would slide out like that. This winter i have aggressive all season Kumhos and the sliding has stopped unless i find some iced over pavement and whip it hard.

bigdaddy_69
02-23-2005, 05:39 PM
Here om Winterpeg, we don't put anything in the trunk....cause when it's -50 outside there is no suspension (frozen) and we have all mastered the art of "fishtailing", "donuts", and other cool vehicle maneuvers on the cold hard icy streets!!!

(just kiddin)

Mike Jung
11-24-2005, 09:46 PM
So I decided to add 50 lbs to my trunk during this winter.
(With winter tires & steels wheels on.)

It seems to help alittle bit.

Anyone else have an opinion or add weight to their trunk in the winter ?

Panacea
11-24-2005, 10:03 PM
My car likes to slide around corners a lot. It may be because I take them a little too fast, but I added a sandbag a couple years ago and it seemed to help. I have about 20-30lbs of junk in the back all year round. Should be more than enough. I think 50lbs is good, it should help out.

tenspeed
11-25-2005, 01:33 AM
Anyone else have an opinion or add weight to their trunk in the winter ?

Adding weight in the trunk will keep it planted in the corners. It will also make it slide out further if the rear breaks loose.

GrandAmGT1996
11-27-2005, 07:49 AM
make sure the tires with better tread are on the back, that will help the back sliding out

Wouldn't you want your best tires on the front, that way you dont just spin when you try to go?

tenspeed
11-27-2005, 01:11 PM
When I put winter tires on my car, I put the best in front for even wear. It does not give you the best handling in snow but it's not all that noticable.

Last winter I was going to try my all season tires until I hit the first snowstorm. I was near a mall so I had Sears put a set of snows on the front. BIG MISTAKE! The car was great when going straight, but the rear would whip around in any curve or turn. I was on the phone to TireRack after my twenty mile drive home. I got the same snows from them for 60% of the Sears price.

Moral of the story is that if all four tires are the same, it doesn't make much noticable difference if the good ones are on the front or rear.

swthrt411
12-07-2005, 07:58 AM
If you are really worried about sliding in the winter, the gagt does take a 15 inch rim... I got myself 4 rims and 4 really agressive winter tires for $50 less than I would have paid for 4 winter tires for the 16 inch rim.
So far they have treated me really well (I currently drive an 03 gagt). My 03 gagt drives now like my 95 ga used to.

coupe
12-07-2005, 08:16 AM
Weight in the rear of a fwd car is dumb, i dont see the point. My truck on the other hand i have 2 60 lbs sand bags over the rear axle, there is a point to that.....rwd. Even that is kinda dumb becuase it is a Z71. If it makes ya feel better do it i guess.

Brken123
12-07-2005, 04:33 PM
Anyone have the problem that their car just doesn't handle well in the snow at all? A buddy of mine had little POS FWD car...and in the snow that thing didn't have any trouble. I mean yea it slid and spun and all, but only if he caused it to. Now my GA on the other hand, if there is more then an inch on the ground, it's basically a shiny toboggain (sp?)....I have Michelin Pilot GT's all the way around, and basically in the snow it handles like poop. The traction control doesn't really help, as once the tires start spinning (regardless if you're doing 20mph or 2mph) it cuts the power from the motor, and then doesn't give it back until you take your foot out of the gas, which is usually right at the point where I get stuck. The tires only have about 7000 miles on them, and I'm not being dumb and putting the pedal to the floor when trying to go or anything like that. Anyone else have similar experiences?