Timing light [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Timing light

Chevylover54
02-22-2005, 09:13 PM
I hook a timing light up to my car to check the how my plugs were firing. I looked like some were misfiring. A guy I know that knows alot about cars said that with the way the electronics have changed, he would trust a timing light. What do you guys think?

AaronGAGT
02-23-2005, 02:12 PM
Never understood how those things worked

Malaclypse
02-23-2005, 11:36 PM
A timing light is a self-powered inductive pickup. Since our cars fire the plugs twice for each revolution of the motor it might look like they aren't firing properly. However, a timing light will not tell you if your plugs are bad. Removal and visual inspection is the best way.

If you use Delcos I wouldn't worry about them going bad until around 80k.

badboy2451
02-24-2005, 01:16 AM
OT: would a bad spark plug cause a ticking noise near the coil pack???

my friends has his mind set that it has something to do with my plugs but it doesn' really make any sense to me

Malaclypse
02-24-2005, 02:39 AM
OT: would a bad spark plug cause a ticking noise near the coil pack???

my friends has his mind set that it has something to do with my plugs but it doesn' really make any sense to me

Does it happen more often when the car is cold? If so, that's piston slap/lifter tick (The true cause is still up for debate). That being the case its completely normal and there's basically nothing you can do to correct it.

My car has been ticking its ass off for 50k miles. No problems.

badboy2451
02-24-2005, 09:38 AM
yea i guess you could say thats it only ona cold start...that sucks, i really dont like that sound, makes me think of that HORRIBLE LIM leaks sound :vomit: