A/F Ratio gauge install problem... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : A/F Ratio gauge install problem...

LukeD
02-27-2005, 05:37 PM
Well I just installed my voltometer and a/f gauge. They both seem to work fine except my A/F Ratio gauge doesn't look like it is working correctly after I start to drive. When I first start the car it looks ok but when I start driving, lights are bouncing all over the place. I think the connections are good. Could it be my Pro-M MAF? Would it be possible that this is altering my reading?

GAGTSCTGuy
02-27-2005, 06:18 PM
When I had mine installed, thats what it did, just bounced back and forth. When the car was at Idle, and WOT were the only times it looked like it worked.

From what I've read, they are not accurate, and the only accurate way to measure that is with a wide band o2 sensor. The dynojet wideband commander seems to be the best, but I've haven't personally used it (http://www.widebandcommander.com/)

Matt95GT
02-28-2005, 08:44 AM
lights are bouncing all over the place.

That's all they really do. It is the nature of narrowband O2 sensors. And no, it'll have nothing to do with your MAF sensor.

From what I've read, they are not accurate, and the only accurate way to measure that is with a wide band o2 sensor. The dynojet wideband commander seems to be the best, but I've haven't personally used it (http://www.widebandcommander.com/)

Yup, you need wideband to do anything more than observe a light show. I prefer the PLX controller / gauge setup. It's digital like the Autometer gauges, but has a A/F ratio LED display in the middle too. It also has a narrowband output so you can simply replace your narrowband sensor with the Bosch wideband and won't need to weld in a new bung. I have the M-250... will be installed next weekend.

www.plxdevices.com

atc3434
02-28-2005, 09:04 AM
Is there any cheaper alternatives for getting an acurate picture of whats going on w/ the A/F ratio? Both the affore mentioned wideband kits cost north of $500, thats quite a bit.

Matt95GT
02-28-2005, 09:10 AM
Is there any cheaper alternatives for getting an acurate picture of whats going on w/ the A/F ratio? Both the affore mentioned wideband kits cost north of $500, thats quite a bit.

Not using narrowband. The next cheapest option would be to use a EGT gauge and weld in a bung for the thermocouple. But... EGT does not always follow A/F ratio - you can have low EGT and still be running lean and vise versa.

What you need really depends on what you are doing. If you just want an idea of what's going on with A/F I wouldn't waste money on either. If you are using an adjustable FMU/FPR and/or bigger injectors, etc and are tuning yourself - you need either a wideband setup or a chassis dyno to use. The EGT is good enough for rough tuning... to get you to the dyno.

methos
02-28-2005, 03:45 PM
thats what the a/f gauge is supposed to do. it will always bounce back and forth. if it doesnt...then u prolly do have a problem. unless im completely wrong about this...then somebody can step in and correct me. just talk to other ppl with this guage

mr_eh
02-28-2005, 03:48 PM
my nordskog gauge doesnt suffer from such cheapness! it just hits where its reading then bounces off the bottom... you can get them recalibrated to work at wot, mine works like any normal one but it doesnt bounce all over the place...