selector cable?? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : selector cable??

GrandyGT
03-01-2005, 05:00 PM
wow, i just had the strangest thing happen.. i have a 98 grand am GT 5 speed manual. i went to shift from 3rd to 4th but when i did it was like there was nothing there, the car just idled, so i skipped 4th and went to first. sooo at the next stop light, started out in 1st, everything ok.... went from 1st to 2nd and it did the same thing... the gear shift just kind slid down not doing anything.. same thing with 4th and also reverse! but at the next light things were a little different, this time it was stuck in 5th gear when i stopped... i couldnt move the shifter left or right... only up and down.. so i had to start out in 5th gear! this is kinda strange since i got the car yesterday!! my dealer that i got the car from said they would fix it for me at no cost. once a mechanic looked at it he said it was the selector cable.. has anyone ever had a problem similar to this before?

Matt95GT
03-02-2005, 09:05 AM
Yes, it's a common item to wear out. I snapped the cable for sideways shifter motion on my 94 over the summer. Aside from the $120 cable, it's not extremely hard to change... just a pain in the ass to remove the center console, heater ducting, etc. (and add the fact I did it in the work parking lot, and it started raining/storming just before I finished)

Good deal on the warranty tho... I'm positive it would be $400+ to have a shop do it.