Spark Plug Replacement - 1999 V6 [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plug Replacement - 1999 V6

kelemvor
03-03-2005, 06:33 PM
Anyone have a '99 or equivalent V6 GA and have changed the spark plugs? I took a look today and the front 3 are right there in front of me which is nice. However the back three I can't see. I can feel them from the top by sticking my arm down behind the engine. And I can't see them from the bottom either so I'd be going at it blind. Is there an easy way to do that or am I better of having a mechanic shop replace them for me?

I wanted to say the $70 or so but if I can't physically get to them then I don't know that I can. Unless I'm missing something....

Thanks.

Irate
03-03-2005, 06:42 PM
Firstly, I suggest that you buy a Haynes manual for your car - it will help you tons. Secondly, some people have found success removing the coil packs to get to the plugs (see instructions in manual).

Welcome to the site. :)

Clyde
03-03-2005, 06:43 PM
Just had mine replaced not that long ago -- 99gagt 3.4v6

I paid my mechanic to do it. he says it can be done on yer own but its ***MUCH** easier for him i think he can loosen the motor mounts and tip the engine to get in there. I know for a fact theres no way i was gettin my fat hands in there :P

AndyVTek
03-03-2005, 06:44 PM
Just kinda have to feel your way around. Use an extension and you should be fine. They sit down in there, but it's not terrible. The sparkplugs on my GA were the first plugs I've ever changed on any car. Took me about an hour.

Search the forums, too. Lots of info.

mike2002
03-03-2005, 06:56 PM
you think that was a pain??? try a aurora. the back 4 where way back there, and really sunk into the heads, pain in the arse the first time i did them

just dont spend a insane amount on plugs, get the regular platnums, stay away from bosch +4's

ive found www.rockauto.com is pretty cheap

atc3434
03-03-2005, 07:20 PM
Yea, its a job thats pretty easy to tackle... just make note of which plugs goes in at what angle, make sure you thread them in easy. If they don't start right, you'll be sorry. A true sparkplug socket is designed to hold the plug, making it easier to put back in, I can't imagine this job w/o that tool. Getting the coilpacks out of the way probably would make it even easier, but I don't really think its that bad w/ it there. It's defintely cake when they arn't.

rocketfast123
03-03-2005, 07:34 PM
I got at the back three on our 3100 malibu by reaching under the alternator.