Another LIM leak? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Another LIM leak?

GrahamKracka
03-05-2005, 05:23 PM
Ok So my LIM has been fixed once before...and i was looking in my engine bay today and on both sides there is a noticeable oil leak...i know its usually leaks coolant for the normal LIM problem but its a pretty profuse amount of oil...im kinda worried

so is the gasket dying again?

i decided to ckeck after my change oil light came on...its only been like 1000 miles since my oil has been changed

Edit : no noticable coolant in oil

Panacea
03-05-2005, 05:31 PM
I would say yes. First time I could see the oil on the side of the engine through the engine bay. Had that fixed.

Now, about 30-40k later it was leaking again, this time I noticed it on the oil pan.

Get it replaced, hopefully you can get it covered under warranty. They have redesigned the gasket and it comes with new bolts (to bolt in diff. locations). Hopefully this is a permanent fix.

Edit: Also, the change oil light doesn't mean anything. It has nothing to do with when you changed your oil last, unless you reset the sensor every time you change your oil.

95-GT
03-05-2005, 05:35 PM
One thing to look for is to see if they didnt place a nice bead of Black RTV between the block and LIM. If they didnt place a solid bead down, or the intake shifted after they layed it down, it would be leaking from the lifter valley instead of the gasket.

GrahamKracka
03-05-2005, 05:42 PM
yea..im gonna bring it in monday...i have an extended warrantty for junk like this...need to get my trannsmission checked out too

95-GT
03-05-2005, 07:11 PM
who did the work? The dealer or a 3rd party business? I am willing to bet its the RTV.

GrahamKracka
03-06-2005, 10:49 AM
i had a dealer do the work...guess im nt goin there again..ill just try one for 34545 other GM dealers in san antonio

Panacea
03-06-2005, 07:13 PM
How long ago did you get your gasket fixed? This update on the gaskets/bolts is reletively new, I'm guessing a few months. If you had this work done 6 months or a year ago, it's not the dealers fault. Even if the new gaskets leak, it's not necessarily the dealers fault because there is no telling whether this new set works or not. Personally I'd rather have a dealer do my work than some grease monkey that see's a crapload of different cars a day. At least I know the people working on my car see my style engine on a weekly/daily basis.

95-GT
03-06-2005, 08:00 PM
Umm, the new set has been out for quite awhile now - Atleast a year and a half.

BTW - The dealers around here do approx 60-80 LIM fixes a month.

Panacea
03-07-2005, 01:15 AM
I didn't know that. My service guy made it sound like it was pretty recent. Oh well, I had mine replaced at like 15k (bout 4 years ago).

GrahamKracka
03-07-2005, 09:04 PM
Umm, the new set has been out for quite awhile now - Atleast a year and a half.

BTW - The dealers around here do approx 60-80 LIM fixes a month.

so...mine is a new one..i got it fixed back in october/november timeframe

95-GT
03-07-2005, 10:50 PM
Like I said, they could have fudged up the install by shifting the lower intake when placing it down. Can you see if the RTV is missing at all?