#1 cylinder Full of Antifreeze [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : #1 cylinder Full of Antifreeze

speak03
03-05-2005, 10:46 PM
I had my LIM gasket changed on my 99 GT about a year ago by a dealer and now my #1 cylinder is full of antifreeze. I pulled the LIM and could see antifreeze pooled up on top of the intake valve. However, I can't see any signs of damage to the gasket or any signs that the #1 cylinder is any different from the rest. There is no water in any other cylinder.

I need to figure out why the LIM gasket keeps leaking. Is it possible that the LIM is warped? Plus, I can't figure out how the water circulates through the head. The water jackets on the opposite end of the inlet, just comes to an end on each side. How is water getting into the intake of just one cylinder?

I'm assuming that because I got good compression and actually saw the water on top of the valve, it's a safe assumption that the LIM gasket is the culprit?

When I did my compression check, the gauge reached about 270 lbs on the 4th stroke. I assume this was due to the water in the cylinder. Can this in its self cause any damage?

How should I go about cleaning the contaminated oil throughout the engine? Dave C

Panacea
03-06-2005, 12:29 AM
You probably just had another bad gasket. The gaskets fail due to poor engine design.

GM recently revised the gasket and added some new bolts to use. Hopefully this is a permenant fix.

Malaclypse
03-06-2005, 01:03 AM
The "revised" bolts are only offered to ensure that loc-tite is applied to the threads of the LIM bolts before they are reinstalled.

If a technician fails to use loc-tite and/or the revised torque specs for the new gasket design, the possibility of the gaskets leaking increases greatly.

Its possible that the repair was not performed properly.

Panacea
03-06-2005, 01:30 AM
I dont' get what you mean? I was under the impression that the bolts bolt in a different location. Why would you need new bolts just to use locktite?

Blackrider
03-06-2005, 01:37 AM
I dont' get what you mean? I was under the impression that the bolts bolt in a different location. Why would you need new bolts just to use locktite?
There is really no way to change the location of the bolts. That would require both a new LIM and block. The Revised gasket comes with bolts with locktit already applied, and the gasket has metal rings around the bolt holes as well as tabs to keep the gasket in place during installation.

Panacea
03-06-2005, 01:43 AM
Now I gotcha, thanks for clearing that up for me, Jordie. :thumbs:

PhoenixGAGT
03-06-2005, 08:24 AM
I would take a real close look at the head, get it magnafluxed, look for a hairline crack or a area deeply pitted. Checking for something warped sounds like a great idea as well.
Jeff

Molson
03-06-2005, 09:09 AM
And, and water will send the Comp reading WAYYY up. Water does NOT compress all that good. hehe It Can cause damage, bent rods, etc.

GT*STUNNA*
03-06-2005, 10:24 AM
Yea i Had the same problem on my 99 but not as bad. I had both gaskets replaced by the dealer. I just pulled my heads of yesterday and both gaskets were shot. I had a hole in my radiotor fixed but I still thought i was leaking antifreeze from it, but now I know where it was going. I heard they have revised the gaskets so hopefully they will hold up.

speak03
03-07-2005, 08:16 PM
So we changes the LIM gaskets and the car seemed to be running better, but decided to pull out No 1 spark plug and again it was soaked with antifreeze. Copression still good in all 6 cylinders (180)? I just don't understand how it could be a cracked head or bad head gasket ans still producing great pressure?

Blackrider
03-07-2005, 08:42 PM
could be. have you done a pressure test?

speak03
03-07-2005, 09:01 PM
yeah 180 psi in every cylinder. And the only cylinder qith coolent was no 1.

Blackrider
03-07-2005, 09:31 PM
yeah 180 psi in every cylinder. And the only cylinder qith coolent was no 1.
No, thats a compression test. a "Pressure Test" is when you put pressure on the cooling system. This is probably the first thing you should have done before you replaced anything.

speak03
03-08-2005, 05:56 AM
well obviously i have a leak, a pressure test will only tell me what I already know, I'm leaking coolent somewhere

Molson
03-08-2005, 06:12 AM
bring it to a mechanic, stop throwing parts at it.

head gasket is my guess.

speak03
03-08-2005, 07:28 AM
I don't even have enough money to get it diagnosed. i have a gargage full of tools and a knowledgable dad, even he is stumped on this. We changes the LIM gaskets in less than 5 hours. So i guess we'll be taking the heads off tonight.

Has anyone ever heard of the LIM warping?

Blackrider
03-08-2005, 07:55 AM
well obviously i have a leak, a pressure test will only tell me what I already know, I'm leaking coolent somewhere
No a pressure test will tell you WHERE you have the leak. If you had done this originally it would have saved you 5 hours and the cost of the LIM Gasket kit. But either way you have pretty much narrowed it down now and the heads are going to have to be pulled. Could be a head gasket could be a cracked cyl wall or head.

I canít stress proper troubleshooting enough. This is a perfect example of what happens when you dont. I'm not bashing you in any way, Iím pretty sure we all have done it at one time or another. Good luck

speak03
03-08-2005, 08:30 AM
exactly, the only reason we went ahead and changed it out was we though it was the only logical problem.

PhoenixGAGT
03-08-2005, 08:14 PM
The cracked head theory. They crack can be between the Intake (or exhaust) port and the coolant jacket. fluid leaks into the ports and cylinder does not loose compression. Just as likely, the head gasket leaks between the coolant port and the combustion chamber but there is so much fluid slushing around in there it doesnt decrease the pressure noticibly. I had a head gasket go on a quad 4 cyl GA and it did the same thing as yours is doing (coolant in one cylinder).

speak03
03-09-2005, 10:11 PM
well after 15 hours of labor the car is finally put back together... again. new gaskets, bigger injectors, extensive cleaning of the the heads. It's too late to test the car so I'm holding off till tomorrow. I hope everything is fixed. I'll be sure to keep you guys informed.

Blackrider
03-09-2005, 11:17 PM
well after 15 hours of labor the car is finally put back together... again. new gaskets, bigger injectors, extensive cleaning of the the heads. It's too late to test the car so I'm holding off till tomorrow. I hope everything is fixed. I'll be sure to keep you guys informed.
was there anything wrong with the head gasket?

speak03
03-11-2005, 08:12 AM
So the car is fixed and I'd have to say it's never run better. Better acceleration, better gas milage, better sound(it's a beast), but now it's time for me to sell it. Who ever gets this car is not going to see any problems for awhile. Thanks everyone for your help.

FORTEEN3GT
03-11-2005, 05:39 PM
No, thats a compression test. a "Pressure Test" is when you put pressure on the cooling system. This is probably the first thing you should have done before you replaced anything.

should be approx 15 psi?

Blackrider
03-11-2005, 05:52 PM
should be approx 15 psi?
Cant remeber the spec but what your looking for is the cooling system maintaining pressure, if not your listening for where the pressure is leaking.

Speak Glad to see its running good.