Drivetrain problem...help! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Drivetrain problem...help!

caveat
03-06-2005, 09:20 PM
2002 GrandAM GT1, 130,000kms

Running at highway speeds today, went to accelerate past another car. Engine attempted to downshift to pass but never went back in to gear - total loss of power to wheels, engine rev'd when applied throttle and would go back to idle. Had to make an emerg coasting lane change to the shoulder. Put car in park - OK. Tried putting in R and D and other gears but still the engine would just rev. Turned it off...engine made an unusual whine when spooling down to shut off.

No SES, no warnings nothing..running smoothly on cruise mere moments before and just shut off cruise before passing (more traffic on highway). Just a car with nothing pushing the wheels...

Any ideas??

brsexton
03-07-2005, 06:16 AM
It sounds like your transmission went out... Are you still under warranty?

caveat
03-07-2005, 07:07 AM
By time I would be - but mileage no. Just seems to be a bit early to throw a complete tranny considering about 85% highway miles...130,000 kms / 85,000 mi

brsexton
03-07-2005, 07:11 AM
Yeah that is early.. Have you had your fluid changed? Also, you may be low on fluid. I had a friend that had a leak and this samething happened to her car. You may want to check that. When the are really low on fluid, they will not engauge.

caveat
03-07-2005, 08:50 AM
yah fluid/filter was changed at 115,000 kms. thing is up on the hoist right now - just dont want to get soaked on for something minor!

brsexton
03-07-2005, 09:41 AM
Well I hope for the best for ya. Just keep us up to date on it.

carsarecool
03-07-2005, 01:19 PM
So you had to get it towed too? it might be the fluid, mine does that but only in the cold, if its parked on snow like where its packed up under the transmission, itll just rev to 2500 in D or R and creep along til it gets warm, then it drives fine. good luck to ya

caveat
03-07-2005, 01:59 PM
Yah had to be towed..no power to the wheels at all in any gear. Just got a call from the shop...no diagnostic codes on the tranny. Not a total surprise since no SES or SVS...pulling the pan off now to look.

caveat
03-11-2005, 07:40 AM
Just an update: suckiest of all things ever. Tranny getting replaced right now...dealer wanted $4100 to do the work and put in a used tranny...no deal. a friend was able to find one for me and get it installed (with a warranty) for $1400 (all prices, CAD).

no explanation yet as to why the thing failed, but I will hear from the tranny shop doin the work...trust them to give me the goods on what happend. will post when I know.

intence
03-15-2005, 11:46 PM
Good luck. Try calling Pontiac Customer Service, even though you're out of Warranty, a tranny failure after 85,000mi/130,000km is insane. It can't hurt to complain, they may offer you some type of incentive.

GT*STUNNA*
03-16-2005, 04:59 AM
thats nothin. I had to have my tranny worked on with almost just 50,000 miles on my car. Cant remember exactly what was wrong. They said something about a seal being bad. Well anyway when I would drive the car the rpms would shoot up then down, up then down. Good thing I bought the extended warranty. This was a few years ago considering I bought my 99 gagt in 2000 w/ just 21,000 miles on it. Right now I have 72,xxx miles should i have the tranny flushed. Someone was telling me that this can cause problems if you wait too long.

action
03-16-2005, 11:35 AM
Sounds like the torque converter fried. That'd explain the weird whine when you shut the car off.

caveat
03-16-2005, 04:21 PM
Well got the car back last night..with new tranny installed. I trust the person who did the install so I'm happy about at least that. They haven't taken the old one apart to figure out exactly what the problem was - but they will.

Now with the new tran in place I can observe some what could have been warning signs..so subtle you would never know.

1) At 120 kph or so...the car would sound slightly labored (engine noise) you would notice it more under load (e.g. hill climbing). Now it is quiet as a whisper.
2) Occasionally the car would vibrate at highway speeds...always assumed tires were the cause so did GM and other techs. The steering wheel would shudder and you could feel it in the seat of your pants. That too is now gone.
3) The car would 'surge' occasionally (since day 1) at idle. Or when put in to D or R (even when warm) the car would pull in gear at idle. Now - no movement at all until thottle applied.

Does this give anyone more to go on with this tranny change analysis?