Rear Fog Lights [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Rear Fog Lights

Mike Jung
03-10-2005, 10:10 PM
I know in Europe that some vehicles have a rear fog light.
A intense red rear fog light on the left rear side of the vehicle.

Why is it in North America that we don't believe in these ?
(The Oldsmoble Aurora had 2- rear fog lights in the rear bumper.)

Here everyone wants front fog lights.

Why is it here we don't beleive in rear fog lights; to see people's rear end & not drive into them in bad weather ?

After all how many people have heard of head-on collisions in bad weather vs driving into someone's rear end because you could not see them in bad weather ?

AznGA
03-10-2005, 10:17 PM
I think they look ugly. If weather is bad, you should have your lights on.

Mike Jung
03-10-2005, 10:29 PM
I think they look ugly. If weather is bad, you should have your lights on.
But sometimes the rear red tail-lights is not enough to be seen.

I was assuming in bad weather, you already have your full headlighting system on :doh:

Bob
03-11-2005, 06:58 AM
Also, don't forget that in Europe, you can get a ticket for having your fog lights (front or rear) on when it's not foggy out. In the US, it seemse everyone has fog lights on all the time. If they are on unnecessarily, the can be a distraction.

After being petitioned for a while, MINI decided to bring rear fog lights to the US for the Cooper and Cooper S. It's a relatively inexpensive option, and is one I have considered getting retrofit.

XMBlackGT1
03-11-2005, 07:15 AM
Jaguars have them. Basically, they just intensify the red tail lights and make them extremely bright.

Too bad the US doesnt come up with that same thing as Europe- tickets for fog lamps when there isnt fog. Very annoying when there isnt any fog.

Breadfan
03-11-2005, 09:46 AM
My old 1980 Jaguar had rear fog lamps, they were quite cool! They were set in the bumper, seperate from the rear tail lights. Nice and bright red. :)

I'm glad we don't have many rear fog lamps these days, simply becuase it probably wouldn't take long for someone to ruin them by making altezza rear-fog lamps...!! (I guess bolt a pair of regular fogs on your car and put in red bulbs and there ya go!)

Hexx
03-11-2005, 01:35 PM
Think of this....why does the US have strict emissions testing and the UK doesnt? Different rulers of the land that's why.

Simple as that.

daxx
03-11-2005, 11:05 PM
Being from the UK, I've been behind my share of dumb-asses who ride around in clear conditions (or worse, then it's raining) with the rear fog lights on. The euro spec for rear fog lights is to use the same bulb as stop lights, 21 watts (the equivalent of the bright side of a 3157) compared to 5 watts (the dim side of a 3157) for rear lights. I'm still considering converting the lower reverse lights on my GA to fog lights for more of the euro look - and that has nothing to do with altezza lights. Still waiting on my euro-GM side repeater lamps to arrive. :) Another thing - most imported european cars have fog light capabilities. Some, but not all, importers remove the bulbs and switches, but the wiring is still there to be used with a few dollars in parts.

BTW, the UK has had stringent emmissions tests for the last 12 or so years. I've had cars fail their annual inspection over trivial things such as a borderline spark plug and excessive fuel pressure. If you were to compare the basic numbers (NOx, CO2, hydrocarbons) UK emissions aren't that different from the US.