Pontiac grand am se 98 [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Pontiac grand am se 98

deb789
03-11-2005, 08:25 AM
I have a 98 Pontiac Grand Am se. When i turn on my car it hesitates then it starts. The clock on my radio it turns over i set at that time and again. When i start my car it gives another time. When i start my car it likes chokes and then it start. My lights, radio, works and horn.Also forget to mentioned, That i have an an alarm system hooked up to the car. And recently the alarm wont work on my car. Ive replaced the remote control battery and clicked it and no sound on my alarm. Please help!!

95-GT
03-11-2005, 09:17 AM
The alarm or something else may be causing a drain on your battery, thus causing this. I would take tha battery out and have it funny tested. If the battery checks out, then hook it back up, turn the key to the "accessory" position to prime the fuel system, then try starting it and see if it starts a little bit easier. If not, something on your car is causing a drain on your battery. You have a constant power wire running to the radio, which provides the power for it to keep the time to keep going and be updated. If you have something that is shorting out, or drawing power, then the radio will not get the correct power it needs to keep the time updated. Thing of it like a wristwatch, the more the battery dies, the slower the watch gets.

But if the battery checks out, I would try to disconnect the alarm system as that may be causing all your problems right there. Does the alarm system work off the horn, or a seperate speaker? If its a seperate speaker, try adding some power to it to see if it goes off. If its off the horn, does your horn still work when you press the steering wheel? If your horn and/or speaker works, and you disconnected thr alarm and its still causing this problem, then something on your car is causing an electrical drain. I will get more into detail of what to look at when you get back to me on this tho.

Irate
03-11-2005, 09:17 AM
I would check your battery and clean up your battery terminals - thats a very easy place to start.

deb789
03-11-2005, 09:50 AM
Could it be the alternator? Will it give me a sign on my computer dashboard? I got my battery 1 year ago got it at walmart. I also replaced my alternator 2 years ago brand new. I heard also that this car takes alot of rpm. Im thinking about removing my alarm system cause it eats up the battery right!! but it doesnt have a shut off on or off button. How do i remove this alarm from my car? Is this difficult?

95-GT
03-12-2005, 11:07 AM
I doubt its the alt. as the battery is being charged and it runs just fine after its started. To remove the alarm, it will really depend on who made it, and what is included. But you will need to get the wiring schematics of that alarm and disconnect the wires that tap into other wires, or directly connect wires back that connect into the alarm. It is a very difficult thing to do if you dunno much about wiring.