rear quarter panel help [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : rear quarter panel help

snowaholic
03-14-2005, 11:26 AM
hi i have a 97 grand am gt 2 dr. the previous owner of the car got t-boned in the rear passenger quarter panel and its a pretty big dent in it. I was looking at it and i noticed that the rear window is also part of the qaurter panel. I was wondering if there was a way to replace the whole quarter panel, and if anyone knew where where the cheapest place to get a replacement would be? I was checking some GM Discount Website and they were selling the quarter panel for $485 and thats the only place i could find it besides the dealership which i would rather not buy from the dealership. Could I get one from a junk yard? if so anyone know how much it would generally be from a junkyard?

Matt95GT
03-14-2005, 11:42 AM
A rear quarter panel is the most expensive body part to replace. Mine was replaced due to a few small dents caused by vandals... to the tune of $4,000+. It's not the cost of the part... it's the labor to replace it. You won't be able to remove one from a junkyard, it's welded to other sections and can't be removed with mangling it and/or plasma torching an entire 1/4 of the car and taking it with you. There are actually 2 layers... the outer layer is what needs to be replaced. There is an inner panel (the metal you're looking at around the rear window from the inside)

1coop44
03-14-2005, 11:42 AM
The rear Quater panel is not a bolt on part. It' needs to be cut off & the new one welded in. Sorry if you already knew this.

snowaholic
03-14-2005, 11:58 AM
my friends dads said he could prob just cut the dent out then weld on a new piece of metal is this possible?

Matt95GT
03-14-2005, 12:04 PM
my friends dads said he could prob just cut the dent out then weld on a new piece of metal is this possible?

Yes. There's a right way and a wrong way. If you don't care about the structural and paint integrity and bondo jobs in the long run, then go for it.

snowaholic
03-14-2005, 12:10 PM
would that be a lot cheaper than buying the whole quarter panel cuz my friends dad said he'd do it for free? as long as i buy the metal piece to replace it with

Matt95GT
03-14-2005, 12:18 PM
Well, that's great an all, but you're still going to have to bondo and sand the hell out of it afterwards. Paint still costs money too.

It basicly comes down to your intentions and what you are looking to spend on the repair.

snowaholic
03-14-2005, 12:25 PM
Well, that's great an all, but you're still going to have to bondo and sand the hell out of it afterwards. Paint still costs money too.

It basicly comes down to your intentions and what you are looking to spend on the repair.

can we just trade cars? lol