n00b needs some audio help [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : n00b needs some audio help

DjSylentMystyk
03-14-2005, 12:48 PM
hey guys, I blew out my rear speakers and have been on this forum for literally two hours trying to figure out why the new pioneer 6x9 5 way 420 watts were not playing. I had to leave two of the wires out of the install when trying to put them on the 2 connectors, which makes the bass sound horrific. when I spliced red/red black/black no sound came out and when I left only the red being spliced and one black wire left hanging, there was massive static. any help would be appreciated!
I'm driving a 2001 GAGT with monsoon stock...
speaker link is here.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6981974&type=product&id=1099388426059

DrFabulous
03-14-2005, 01:29 PM
I think the monsoon amp is screwing with your speakers. You can't just throw new rear speakers on the monsoon system, as the rear 6x9's are kind of two speakers in one. You are hooking up the amp to your new speakers, and it's trying to drive them differently then they are set up to run. You either have to run all monsoon, or totally ditch the monsoon sytem. It won't work with aftermarket parts. Sorry.

DjSylentMystyk
03-14-2005, 02:01 PM
so therefore I would have to either put a whole new system in or just put an amp to the back two in order to keep the bass up to its peak level?

thawk55
12-13-2007, 03:47 PM
Hi, everyone, I just had my rear speakers replaced. At first I believed that any aftermarket 6x9 speaker would be fine. I was wrong. You guys may already know this, so please forgive me. The Monsoon rear speakers have two connections on them. One is for the Tweeter and the other is for the mid-range and sub. According to Pontiac the subs are built into the 6x9's At least that's what Pontiac is calling them. Most aftermarket 6x9 speakers have built in crossovers and they only have one connection post. Most After market Speaker have the crossover built into them.

I used Pioneer TSD901P Speakers. According the install tech they had to be slightly modified. Installed and out the cost was $261.41. So far they sound pretty good. Not as much bass as the original when they were new, but they are built better and will last longer. Later I will at a powered Sub to the mix. Hopefully this will help someone.

thawk55
12-13-2007, 03:51 PM
Hi, everyone, I just had my rear speakers replaced. At first I believed that any aftermarket 6x9 speaker would be fine. I was wrong. You guys may already know this, so please forgive me. The Monsoon rear speakers have two connections on them. One is for the Tweeter and the other is for the mid-range and sub. According to Pontiac the subs are built into the 6x9's At least that's what Pontiac is calling them. Most aftermarket 6x9 speakers have built in crossovers and they only have one connection post.

I used Pioneer TSD901P Speakers. According the install tech they had to be slightly modified. Installed and out the cost was $261.41. So far they sound pretty good. Not as much bass as the original when they were new, but they are built better and will last longer. Later I will at a powered Sub to the mix. Hopefully this will help someone.

stillriza
12-13-2007, 03:54 PM
Why not just splice into the pinouts and send those wires directly to the new speakers?

SSRacer
12-13-2007, 03:56 PM
Holy old thread batman!

When I did mine I replaced the head unit and all the speakers and just ran new wire to all of them. Added and amp and two 10's in custom boxes and called it a day. Worth the effort IMO.

If I ever needed to go back to stock, I cut nothing, so it would be simple.

stillriza
12-13-2007, 04:34 PM
well lets get off topic for a moment,

im actually gona grab 2 pioneer or sony 6x9s to replace my blown rears.. im jsut gona splice them in or hook them up to the amp thats running the sub. Mind you they are only $100 speakers, but im using my gift certificate so i dont want to spend cash on them. Any speakers in there will b better than the stockers. Right now im only running on my sub and my front speakers and it all sounds good. I could swear it sounds even better now than it did with the rear speakers intact.

cardude007617
12-13-2007, 10:59 PM
what kind of amp you got...... i hope its a 4ch or your 6x9s will get all the low notes as well.....=baddd

WeibSunder
12-13-2007, 11:33 PM
what kind of amp you got...... i hope its a 4ch or your 6x9s will get all the low notes as well.....=baddd

No they won't as long as his amp has a low, mid, and high pass filter.

Kaos
12-16-2007, 07:33 PM
I recently installed a new AudioBahn deck, with a 12" Infinity Sub, and Amp.

I kept the original speakers in the car however and didn't have any problems at all.

The deck however, from what I saw, will not work with just any speakers. Your best bet is to replace the deck, then work your way out from there.