Motor Swap Difficulty??? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Motor Swap Difficulty???

rap219
03-14-2005, 10:17 PM
I really want to have my car done for MGM and am thinkin the only way to accomplish this is to do it myself in the next few weeks. So i'm just curious how hard it is to swap a motor out with a basically identical one. I'm putting a 3.4 back in my car because my old one died. Just curious if its something i'd be able to do on my own if i were to buy the haynes manual or is it really tricky??? I've done alot of rear wheel drive motor/tranny swaps but haven't ever attempted a front wheel drive setup. I have any tool i'll need i'm sure, Just curious what the diffuculty is of this swap and if theres alot of things i could screw up. Or if i can just pull it out and put the new one right back in the same way without any real difficulties. If anyone knows, let me know. Thanx

korbendallas68
03-15-2005, 04:57 PM
2-day project. Tops. You can swap in a 3400 into a 94 GA in 2 days, so swapping in a 3400 into a 99 GA (cause its the same engine) will be even easier.

Hexx
03-15-2005, 11:02 PM
Only if you know what you are doing. The hardest part of swapping OEM engines is the wiring me thinks....and making sure you didnt overlook the small things.

Pretty much all there is, is a couple of motor mounts, the tranny, unhook the wires to the motor, undo fuel lines and any other lines that go to the motor...pull it, swap in new, reconect stuff, make sure its all plugged in properly and mounts are torqued right.

Of course there is MORE work involved then what I mentioned, and you wont really know the extent until you do a motor swap.

95-GT
03-16-2005, 06:16 AM
2-day project. Tops. You can swap in a 3400 into a 94 GA in 2 days, so swapping in a 3400 into a 99 GA (cause its the same engine) will be even easier.

2 DAYS?!?! I got 2 3400 swaps done in under 8 hrs. lol

Tweeter
03-16-2005, 09:09 AM
Well that has made me happy to read due to the fact that I will be pulling mine and swaping it this weekend.

korbendallas68
03-16-2005, 05:26 PM
2 DAYS?!?! I got 2 3400 swaps done in under 8 hrs. lol

Well not everyone is such a god at motor swapping.
I personally would put more time in if I did it to another car I owned. :duh:

95-GT
03-16-2005, 07:02 PM
Err, not 2 swaps in 8 hrs. Each swap was 8 hrs each. Its pretty easy when you have a hoist, cherry picker, and all tools that you need on hand.

korbendallas68
03-16-2005, 07:07 PM
Hell ya. A car hoist would rock. ****, since I moved for college, I had to leave all my nice tools at my parents house. :\

rap219
03-16-2005, 11:17 PM
Well, I'm going to give her a shot next week. I've done alot of work on newer cars just nothing this extreme. So we'll see how it goes. I'm pretty confident in myself. I was just curious if there were any real diffucult tasks when swapping. I'm sure i can remove the old one and put the new one in its place. No problem. Well, thanx for all the input.