High Speed Stalls [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : High Speed Stalls

Inferno
03-16-2005, 08:12 AM
I have a 2000 GrandAm GT that seems to have a new problem each week. For the past couple of days when I take it out on the freeway and it gets above 120KM's (70MPH) it starts to act fuel starved and shuts down. I replaced the fuel filter and it worked better for a couple of days but now it is doing it again. After it sits for ten minutes it starts back up again like nothing was ever wrong. Fuel pump? Plugs and wires? any other thoughts?

Inferno
03-17-2005, 04:48 AM
Bump

tenspeed
03-17-2005, 05:33 AM
Usually when you get a high speed stall, it's either fuel starvation or loss of spark.

I would suspect a fuel delivery problem too. If you replace the filter again, take it apart to see if you have something (like sugar) clogging it. It could also be a weak pump or the pump intake clogged.

In the old days, you only had one coil which would sometimes fail if it got hot. Bad plugs or coil packs usually show up at lower engine speeds, so that sort of rules that part out.

I know I'm not much help but it may spark other conversations.

Inferno
03-21-2005, 03:44 PM
It won't do it if I have more then half a tank of gas.

CruzinGT33
03-21-2005, 04:47 PM
Clogged Cat?? I found that when mine was clogged my engine would smother out when gettin on the gas such as the highway.