Rubbing sound in front end [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Rubbing sound in front end

Rawbbie02
03-16-2005, 10:05 PM
Hey everyone, been a while since I've been here!

Quick question for y'all:

I have a Grand Am SE 2002, 4Cyl 2.2, 4 door

Still love this thing to death- the looks are so hot.

My problem-

I have a rubbing or warping sound coming from the front break area. Just had my breaks and rotors replaced. They aren't the problem- the noise was there before having them replaced, and still there after.

It's just a repeating, rotating warping or rubbing sound, which I can only hear when breaking or travelling at very slow speeds, like 5 km/hour. It is worse when turning left or right at low speeds. "Woo-woo-woo-woo-woo" kinda sound. It's a lot worse now than it used to be, so the problem is increasing.

My mechanic pointed out that my "control arm bushing" was gone- he showed me, and sure enough, it's metal on metal instead of the bushing protecting the parts. It was in behind one of the front wheels. He said this was the problem and I should have it fixed, but it wasn't an emergency yet (this was several months ago.)

Has anyone else had this sort of problem, or knows what exactly it is? I'm at 63,000 km now (still low for 3 1/2 years)

What am I looking at for repairs here, in Canadian funds? He told me I was looking at somewhere around $300 at the time.

Thanks for any help guys!!!

tlals0921
03-16-2005, 10:12 PM
I have the same problem on my '01....looking for advice as well!!!

grandam01
03-25-2005, 10:51 PM
i have the same problem on my 01, sounds like the brake clip on a rotor, but it only comes on when there is no brake pressure at low speeds, and when im turning. hmmmmm, yay im not the only one.

Braves299
03-25-2005, 11:07 PM
I had this same problem. I replaced my pads and rotors and it still didn't go away. In fact, just today I did a search on this site, and I found a topic covering this. There is a TSB out for this problem. The stock RSA tires are somehow causing this sound when they get worn down or the lose pressure.

Just check your pressure and see if it is correct. Pump the tires up, and see if it goes away. If so, you fixed your problem. I did this today, and realized my pressure was only at 25lbs each. I pumped them up to 32 and the noise is finally gone!

grandam01
03-25-2005, 11:30 PM
nope sorry i got new tires, and still i have this wonderful freakin noise. grrrrrr, and now that i think about it its getting even worse afer all the rain we have had here in so cal, and i have noticed a clunk once or twice in the past year.

laxjax13
03-26-2005, 09:41 PM
i had the same problem with my stock tires. the shop said my tires were worn out.

i replaced the tires and the sound went away :boogie:

grandam01
03-26-2005, 10:37 PM
hmmm i figured it out, my neighbor was a mechanic, i had him come over and help me out, and we figured out that the problem was teh rotors were glazed due to the fact that i did not turn the rotors, so what we did was get some Emery cloth, its pretty much a light sand paper that gets rid of the glaze and gets the new pads used to the rotors.

so if you just changed the brakes on the stock rotors try this it helped me out.

Rawbbie02
03-29-2005, 10:44 PM
Problem solved-

Believe it or not, I easily solved this problem.

I filled my tires with air (they were low on air) to the full 44psi.

Noise is gone. Much smoother ride, too.

(Someone already mentioned this solution, I believe).

What an easy fix, and I thought I was gonna have to pay 100s of dollars for this one!!

Braves299
03-29-2005, 10:46 PM
44 psi is way too high isnt it? I think the 44psi was just to see if it cleared up the noise.. you shouldn't ride around with that much air.

grandam01
03-29-2005, 11:01 PM
hell no, dude you have a bunch of air molecules in there, movin around when the air heats up it gets higher than 44psi, more towards like 46 maybe more, warm air molecules move around a lot more than cold ones, anyhow 33-35 is pretty ideal for our cars, as it gives you sufficient air and it allows for some air movement, annnnddd it helps you get better traction, as a tire filled up all the way like that tends to only get a litttle bit of the center of the tire on the road causing unequal wear, too little will cause unequal wear on the outsides of the tire.

grandam01
03-29-2005, 11:04 PM
ohh sorry for posting again, but my squeeking is back, only on the driver side, i thought it went away but i guess not, but now that i am paying even more attention to it, i notice it is a bit rhythmic, its not a constant squeek. yippee whooray

Rawbbie02
03-30-2005, 06:30 AM
It says 44psi on the tires!

tenspeed
03-30-2005, 10:39 AM
It says 44psi on the tires!

The 44psi that is written on the tire is the maximum pressure that you should inflate the tire to. That pressure is for when the tire is fully loaded. Different tire pressures are used on different cars depending on the weight of the car.

The correct tire pressure that you should use is found on a sticker attached to the end of the drivers door. That pressure reflects the car weight and load.

Wts1277
04-11-2005, 07:21 PM
im soooo glad im not the only 1 with this problem so annoying i took the car to the dealer and the dumb a$$es said the couldnt hear anything nothing was wrong. then he said probably tire flexing.. i wont be going there again

skyguard
04-11-2005, 09:00 PM
Well I have had the same problem when I use to drive my Alero and the culprit was the wheel bearing. Now that I have a GA GT, well, I ended up with the same noise, you know what the problem was??? you guessed it, the wheel bearing, if you wanna be sure thats the problem before spending your money, lift your car up on a hoist, with the engine running have a buddy put the car in gear, with the use of a mechanic stethoscope listen to both wheel bearing, if the bearings are good it should be nice and quiet, if the bearing is bad you'll definitely hear it.

tenspeed
04-12-2005, 06:29 AM
Usually with a wheel bearing, you hear more noise during a turn.

If you have a bad bearing on the right front, it will make noise when turning left because the turn puts more pressure on the right bearing.

If you have a bad bearing, you can wait till it gets worse. A little noise is OK. I made it from NY to Daytona and back on a noisy bearing.

Wts1277
04-13-2005, 02:52 PM
both directions turning same noise loudness gonna try the the 44psi to see if its tire before i do anything else had car less then 3 mos. dealer couldnt hear anything. lol but i know theres a tsb on the same issue blaming tires.

Kdawg207
04-13-2005, 02:53 PM
I have the same problem on my '01....looking for advice as well!!!

another NJ nooooB I love it....

and more x chromosome too :metal: