Leaking Coolant, Need to replace Water Pump, 2.4 TC [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Coolant, Need to replace Water Pump, 2.4 TC

82-T/A
03-17-2005, 06:04 AM
Hey guys,

I own a 1997 Pontiac Grand Am GT with the 2.4 TwinCam 4 cyl. Well, I noticed while on the way to work that there was a little bit of steam.. if you will coming from the drivers side corner (closest to the windshield) of the hood. All the gauges show good running conditions.. my Grand Am GT runs really cool.. especially after I replaced the sticking thermostat.

Anyway, I pull into the parking lot at work and see quite a bit more steam.

I get out of the car, pop the hood and try to see where it's coming from. I can't really see. Although, I do know that the water pump is right next to the exhaust manifold. I suspect that either I may need to re-tighten the bolts on the thermostat housing (maybe they worked themselves loose?) or I need to replace the waterpump all together.

I've got a port n polished exhaust manifold from my old 1997 Grand Am SE sedan that I used to have (totalled by a family member). So, I've been wanting to install that anyway, and I've also got several gallons of fresh orange coolant, so I figured now's the time to use that too! Well, that being the case, I was curious. I really want to keep this car long term, it's my daily driver and it gets awesome gas mileage. I usually get 29-30 miles to the gallon and with today's gas prices... I've got to keep this. I've also got a spare car in case it takes more than a weekend.

I know that shops normally charge like $600 bucks to do this job (as apposed to like a couple hundred for the V6).

I know that it's driven by the timing chain, so with that said... is there any special precautions I will need to take when replacing it? Or... if I'm VERY careful... can I simply just remove the timing plate on the side, then mark the chain where the teeth were, and then slowly remove the waterpump and re-install a new one?

Do you guys recommend getting a waterpump from GM, or a replacement from like Discount Auto Parts?

Also, I'd love to hear from anyone who's done this, I haven't replaced one on this car yet.

Anything else you guys think I should replace too.. I'd appreciate hearing it.

I keep this car in pretty good tune. I always use synthetic, I always get the BG chemical cleaner decarb kit every 30k miles, I'm planning on putting new OEM plugs in this weekend anyway...

Thanks!

action
03-17-2005, 12:50 PM
Apparently its a real pig to do, most shops quote up to 12 hours to do it. I've changed out an entire motor (2.4) and I think I'd rather do that than tackle a water pump job!!!

82-T/A
03-17-2005, 01:32 PM
Apparently its a real pig to do, most shops quote up to 12 hours to do it. I've changed out an entire motor (2.4) and I think I'd rather do that than tackle a water pump job!!!

I'm not so worred about getting at it because I'll have plenty of time.. I'm just concerned about what goes on behind the timing cover. Will removing the water pump disrupt the timing chain and how it's arranged with the crank and cams?

That's what I'm worried about. I'm really hoping that there's some sort of torsional dampner or something on it and that when I remove the water pump, it'll keep it's tension... I'm worried about disrupting my timing.

If I DON'T have to worry about that, than it's easy as cake.

I've pulled one of those motors out, out of this very same car. I actually have a spare TwinCam from my old 97 Grand Am SE. It's sitting on my garage floor so I can use it as a reference in case I can't see any bolts. In addition, I recently bought an air compressor so that should make short work of any bolts I have to remove...

I just worry about the timing chain... :(